United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the file submission guidelines have the following statement:

Quote:
Currently, Open Office (.odf) and MS Office 2007 formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc) are difficult for a majority of users to open.

Come one, seriously? It's that hard for someone to download and install OpenOffice? Yes I can export to an .xls and no there's no special formatting that will be ruined. No I don't want to "print" to PDF because I'd like to offer sorting capabilities to others, and won't mind others submitting fixes/updates.

I'm not going to keep to original in .xls and shouldn't have to export it out to submit it. We're talking about a file format for a free product, not a competing $300 product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got to face the fact that you and I are minorities when it comes to computer literacy. 99% of the population that uses a computer neither understands what happens when you click on link nor do they have to. You click on it...it comes up so you can see it.

Installing something is difficult for them free or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I've seen both ODT and DOCX (in a .zip) files recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the first time this has been brought up, and I'm guessing it won't be the last.

Here's another thread on the topic for anyone interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/314405
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
Currently the file submission guidelines have the following statement:

Quote:
Currently, Open Office (.odf) and MS Office 2007 formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc) are difficult for a majority of users to open.

Come one, seriously? It's that hard for someone to download and install OpenOffice? Yes I can export to an .xls and no there's no special formatting that will be ruined. No I don't want to "print" to PDF because I'd like to offer sorting capabilities to others, and won't mind others submitting fixes/updates.

I'm not going to keep to original in .xls and shouldn't have to export it out to submit it. We're talking about a file format for a free product, not a competing $300 product.

I think that the end result in the thread which Meat quoted was: yeah, a lot of us use OO, but not enough -- so please upload an MS-format copy in addition to the OO document. It's unfortunate, but it is also reality. Luckily, OO can save in MS formats, so you can include such a copy easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded several OO files, always with a pdf version (not MS Office), and the latest one with this notice:

"This zip file includes 6 files, 3 pdf files and 3 ods files. They all look the same, and serve the same purpose, but the ods files let you record the data on the computer instead of on a printed page. ODS (Open Document Spreadsheets) files can be opened with Open Office, the free open source office suite ( http://www.openoffice.org ), with a plugin for MS Office ( http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp ) or directly into a Google Docs document ( http://docs.google.com )"

I think the fact you don't even need to download software to open OO files should be enough to let people upload them freely...

Edit: I started the thread linked above. It seems OO would get rejected if uploaded alone, but simply adding a pdf version was enough for the files to be accepted. I'm not sure how things are now because it's been a while, but the notice I quoted above is for the version of the file that was eventually accepted after that thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see...

Jake: A few clicks to save it as PDF or MS Excel.

Most Users: Several clicks to find OpenOffice, download, wait for it, install it and set it up.

I'm voting for you doing the work on your end, Jake. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jorge, I'll give that a try for my file. My eye's are starting to glaze over on that other thread, and sorry to post this here, guess I looked in the wrong sub forum. I definitely had to stop reading that thread before I just went postal on certain individuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Let's see...

Jake: A few clicks to save it as PDF or MS Excel.

Most Users: Several clicks to find OpenOffice, download, wait for it, install it and set it up.

I'm voting for you doing the work on your end, Jake. cool

If only that was true... Opening the file with google docs is just a matter of a couple of clicks on your end...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Instead of what? Downloading and installing MS Office and jumping through a few hoops to register the software? I fail to see the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Quote:

Instead of what? Downloading and installing MS Office and jumping through a few hoops to register the software? I fail to see the difference.

Hey...I use OpenOffice and I think everyone should too. Still, if you're going to upload a file to the Geek do it in a format that is most widely and easily recognized and used by users. If you use OpenOffice, it's just easier to convert than for someone else to try and figure out how to convert it or whatever.

Sorry, the OP makes it sound like it's everyone else's problem that they don't use OO.

Then again, why not submit it in as many formats as possible. More GeekGold that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How come people keep uploading files for $60 games when they could be uploading files for free card games which are accessible to everyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Quote:

The difference is that MS Office file formats can be opened by anybody, whether they use MS Office or OpenOffice. OpenOffice files can only be used by OpenOffice users, while people that use MS Office wonder what the crap an .odf file is.

Thus, the preference toward MS Office file formats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Quote:

The difference is that MS Office file formats can be opened by anybody, whether they use MS Office or OpenOffice. OpenOffice files can only be used by OpenOffice users, while people that use MS Office wonder what the crap an .odf file is.

Thus, the preference toward MS Office file formats.

Sorry but that is not true. See http://docs.google.com

Anyone that can clik on a link in a browser can open Open Office files. And I'm sure many more people know how to use a web browser than MS Office or OO.

Just want to make that clear once and for all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not true. Not every program can open doc files. The files produced by OpenOffice are not "OpenOffice files" but documented standard. The only office software that can't open those files is MS Office.

But I'm venting here. Personally I don't care which format is used to upload. As long as it's documented what is used and what we can use to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.