Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an Asteroid reaches Z, is it destroyed, doing damage per X and Y it hit? Or do you avoid that damage and only take the damage per remaining health points?

To be precise: say a Minor Asteroid passes an X and a Y and takes all but 1 damage. It then hits Z. Does it do 3 damage or 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as a threat reaches the Z space, it performs its Z action, and is considered "survived." So I say it is not destroyed, and only deal damage equal to its remaining hit points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
To be precise: say a Minor Asteroid passes an X and a Y and takes all but 1 damage. It then hits Z. Does it do 3 damage or 1?

It does 1 damage, and you survive the threat (hopefully).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we 100% sure of these answers? I usually go for strict literal reules interpretation over thematic instincts, but, it really seems that the Asteroid is destroying itself when it crashes into the ship. Plus, it says "when" it's destroyed not "if" it's destroyed (I know, it's a reach).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It is not destroyed... and I am pretty sure

The point of asteroids is - either destroy them soon (before it crosses too many Xs and Ys), or get it to 1 or 2 lives and let it crash to you. I have seen a ship destroyed by an unfortunate shot from pulse cannon (that destroyed major asteroid close to the ship) several times...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - great. Yes, our strategy thus far has been to shoot it down to 1 point and let it crash, good to hear that was the intent.

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. In that case I declare Major Asteroids to be the easiest of the yellow serious external threats to deal with.

So... with two groups now we've gotten to the point where we can pretty much deal with all-yellow threats. Should we a) play Campaigns, b) drink more, or c) other?

Another random note: A Virus that appears on turn 4 can be brutal if people have already run off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Another random note: A Virus that appears on turn 4 can be brutal if people have already run off.

Thats why T+4 threats are announced during the first phase... you can still change your plans and stay on the bridge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... you can deal with them, but it puts a big strain on cognitive resources, 'cause you need some fast rethinking.

And that's fast compared to the rest of this game, which takes far more "fast rethinking" than usual.

Anyway great game Vlaada! I'll evangelize here and see how many copies I can get bought by people. It'd be just great if they were available by Christmas.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stein
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
For simple gameplay value, I agree with everyone here - I like the tactical decision (blow it up at a distance, vs. wear it down but don't destroy it.)

However, the rules are ambiguous. Consider how the Z action would play out if the asteroid is also destroyed as its Z action:

* If the asteroid is on trajectories T1 or T2 (one X), the asteroid does 3 damage + remaining HP, for a *minimum* of four damage. That's not too bad... but if the asteroid has more than 4 HP left, it hits with minimum 8 damage. I suppose this is on par with other serious threats. However...

* If the asteroid is on trajectories T3, T4, or T5 (one X + one Y), the asteroid does 6 damage + remaining HP, for a *minimum* of 7 damage... pretty brutal. Even if the asteroid is mostly pulverized (down to a 3 or 4), it hits with 9 or 10 damage, which is usually fatal.

* If the asteroid is on trajectories T6 or T7 (one X and two Ys), the asteroid does 9 damage + remaining HP. This means a *minimum* of 10 damage. The only way the ship could survive that impact is if it hits the white zone while the center shield is supercharged via a heroic action! And that's *if* the asteroid hits with only 1 HP remaining... with any more HP, or if it hits red or blue, don't even bother with the math; the game is simply over.

Thus - an impact is probably catastrophic. Is that unreasonable? Well, it *is* an advanced serious threat, and there are other serious threats where Z = death. In fact, neither Alien nor Fissure (both having "game over" at Z) are advanced serious threats - just regular serious threats.

As for thematics: It simply doesn't make sense to me that Z is *not* considered destroyed. Imagine if a huge rock is almost ready to hit a spaceship - when would it *ever* be better to let the rock impact the ship than to obliterate it? What if the difference is taking 1 damage to let it impact, vs. taking 9 damage to blow it up? Is there a bomb hidden in the core of the asteroid that will detonate only if blown up, but not on impact? It doesn't make any sense.

- David Stein
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
There will never be a real space quest again...
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Zombiethread, ;-)

it makes sense if the damage dealt to the asteroid is interpreted not as structural damage but as momentum delivered to deflect the asteroid of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always looked at if you blow up the meteoroid close to the ship, the pieces break up and smash into the ship.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.