Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Tomorrow night we will play SoC with 2 other couples from our neighborhood. That means we will have 6 players, 4 of us have played the game twice before the other 2 have never played it before and aren't familiar at all with any eurogames.

My idea was to just pass out the loyalty cards and play with a traitor, since the 4 of us are ready for it, and tell the 2 newbies that if they get the traitor card they can decide if they want to keep the card and give it a shot or just say no and have a reshuffle and deal the cards again. This way we will never know if one of the newbies has a traitor card or not.

Also I want to be able to explain the traitor in a short little list that everybody just looks at before the game starts because looking at it during the game will make things so obvious. Let me know if I am forgetting anything.

This is the list:

Traitor

- Accusing a knight of being a traitor is considered a heroic action.

- Every knight (including the traitor if he hasn’t been revealed yet) can only accuse once in the entire game.

- You can only accuse another knight when there are either 6 or more swords on the round table OR there are 6 or more siege engines on the board.

- When you are accused show your loyalty card to the group.

- If the accusation is true and you are the traitor, one white sword will be added to the table.

- If the accusation is false, one white sword will be flipped to black.

- A traitor can only be revealed by an accusation made by another player OR the traitor reveals himself by playing the “Fate” card. Please note that the traitor can play the “Fate” card and decide not reveal himself. Also, you don’t have to wait until the are 6 or more swords/siege engines on the board to reveal yourself with a “Fate”card if you so choose.

- When the traitor is revealed, he loses all white cards, his figurine, his life die (you can’t die as a revealed traitor, but you can die as an unrevealed traitor), the Holy Grail and Excalibur if he has them. He can keep Lancelot’s Armor if he has it and flips over hit coat of arms. From now on out he takes 2 different actions during his turn.

- Never reveal your identy whether your are loyal or traitor. Even if you die you keep it secret until the end of the game.

- If the traitor is still alive at the end of the game and unrevealed, you have to flip over two white sword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
burrie wrote:

- If the traitor is still alive at the end of the game and unrevealed, you have to flip over two white sword.

Woh, I didn't know that.
----

I've only played twice and both times with the traitor. Total fun. I think it is what makes the game great.

Last game I spent the entire time unofficially calling the strongest player at the table the traitor accusing him of sub-par play. By the end of the match everyone else had chimed in. Everytime we'd talk to him we'd end the sentence muffling a coughed "traitor" to the side. We were all having a blast and thought we were so smart but of course he wasn't and he was totally getting frustrated.

It turned out that no one was the traitor. You always put one more loyalty card than player in the mix. The odds are low but you can have a whole match suspecting someone that isn't even present.

In my opinion, even though we didn't actually have a traitor, being able to joke around about how people are playing with squinted eyes is easily half the fun of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:

It turned out that no one was the traitor. You always put one more loyalty card than player in the mix. The odds are low but you can have a whole match suspecting someone that isn't even present.

Just to clarify; you always put a MINIMUM of one more loyalty card in the mix; if you're playing with only 3 or 4 players, you should still have a total of 8 loyalty cards, 7 loyal and 1 traitor. That way, odds of traitor decrease as there are fewer players (and therefore fewer cards in hand at the start, fewer merlins, and fewer special powers) which keeps your chances of winning more consistent. Otherwise, with only 3 or 4 players you would usually have a much harder time winning than with 6 or 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Blackfaer wrote:

Just to clarify; you always put a MINIMUM of one more loyalty card in the mix; if you're playing with only 3 or 4 players, you should still have a total of 8 loyalty cards, 7 loyal and 1 traitor. That way, odds of traitor decrease as there are fewer players (and therefore fewer cards in hand at the start, fewer merlins, and fewer special powers) which keeps your chances of winning more consistent. Otherwise, with only 3 or 4 players you would usually have a much harder time winning than with 6 or 7.

Thanks for the clarification. I think both of our games were 6 and we only added one more. It worked though. I'll remember this for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cole
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify - it is actually one of the Advanced and Optional rules that you can add just one more loyalty card than number of players. So for a 4 player game you can have 4 loyal plus the one traitor card. As we tend to play with only 4 players we always use this option as we've never lost without a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz T. Cat
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Adding to thread-starter's list...

- If there are multiple face down black cards in combat quest places, mix up the black combat cards before revealing them, so as to not give clues as to which knight played which face down card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.