Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played this tonight for the first time, and a question came up, which wasn't IMO adequately addressed in the rules.

My wife was sitting with the board upside-down to her (which lead to this question coming up).

The question: Does "with style" only count as top-to-bottom or left-to-right order, or is bottom-to-top & right-to-left acceptable as well?

For example, when playing the Power Bar recipe, is only Rice-Tofu-Egg acceptable to get the style points, or is Egg-Tofu-Rice (the right-to-left order) acceptable as well?

Thanks for making the game, it's definitely fun.

Steph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilike Tobike
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a great question.

Direction does not matter when completing a recipe. top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top, left-to-right, or right-to-left, the direction does not matter as long as the ingredients are in the right order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would explain why there is no style bonus awarded for 2-ingredient recipes.. Because 2-ingredient recipes are always completed with style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is happy to know that she was right. :) (Well, according to her, she's always right, but... )

I did beat her by finishing my 10th recipe; but she had a Wasabi card that if she'd played it to block the last 3 openings and end the game, she would have beat me by 1 point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilike Tobike
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice, good for her.

My girlfriend did the opposite to me last night. I was sooo close to finishing my final 4-parter when there she goes and throws down the Wasabi! card to trigger endgame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Directionality does not matter in the game. Tiles do not need to be oriented in any particular direction when you place them (in the Game End example you can see that some tiles are placed 90ยบ to others), and since players are presumably sitting on different sides of the board, there is no absolute up/down/left/right.

That being said, I always strive for the perfect rulebook and am glad to have things pointed out to me that can contribute to better clarity in future efforts. A GG tip for you, sir!

~Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
swmabie wrote:
My wife and I played this tonight for the first time, and a question came up, which wasn't IMO adequately addressed in the rules.

My wife was sitting with the board upside-down to her (which lead to this question coming up).

The question: Does "with style" only count as top-to-bottom or left-to-right order, or is bottom-to-top & right-to-left acceptable as well?

For example, when playing the Power Bar recipe, is only Rice-Tofu-Egg acceptable to get the style points, or is Egg-Tofu-Rice (the right-to-left order) acceptable as well?

Thanks for making the game, it's definitely fun.

Steph

Ditto on this ? for my wife and I also. We played for the first time tonight and this was one we weren't sure about either. She beat me both times.cry Well, she loves to cook, but I hate sushi.yuk Not that that means anything. Thanks for asking the question and also thanks for the answers! Love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game and read the instructions and this was the first question that popped into my mind. It's great to have a source like BGG to clear these things up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.