Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an episode of Scott's Stuff, I did a brief video review of Cavum. I had played it at a convention, and since I don't have it, I grabbed it and made a quick video about it for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great review, Scott. In less than four minutes you made it perfectly clear how them game worked and gave your reason for not liking the game. I share your dislike of AP games and your desire to build over the course of the game rather than having a "reset button", so I won't be adding this to my collection. Well done, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too was very excited to see your review of this game as I have been very on the fence about it. Unfortunately, your review really only pushed me more onto the fence.

Thank you though, I feel like I learned a lot about the game!

Tommy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its typical Kramer which I seem to enjoy. can't wait for mine to get here from Gay Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I dindt knew about these scott things, nice review, also the Age of Booty one is great..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, my friends and I enjoy your reviews, have to say I prefer the longer more detailed reviews though.

I don't know if you take requests, but there is a new game coming out soon that I'm interested in and perhaps you might take a look at it when it is released and do a review if it seems interesting. Its called A Castle for All Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Mejor Juego de la Vida
Chile
Santiago
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice & fast review. This is the kind of game I like, so you just gave me another reason to buy it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J.
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quinnox wrote:
Hi Scott, my friends and I enjoy your reviews, have to say I prefer the longer more detailed reviews though.

I have to second this. "The devil is in the details," or so the saying goes, and BGwS was the deciding factor to a lot of my game purchases. Seeing the board and bits, watching the setup and and a turn or two played was much more helpful, and made going over the rules and teaching it to others in my group a little easier.
I like games that make you think and where you risk cranial implosion. We limit AP after the learning stage by adding an egg timer. If the sand runs out, you skip your turn! That neatly solves the problem.
I'll most likely pick this one up. Thanks for the quick peek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Majiken wrote:

"The devil is in the details,"

Yes, yes it certainly is. This show took me about 20 minutes to get up. A full BGWS episode on the topic typically takes about one hour per minute of finished video, so it would probably take about 25-30 hours to put together. So, it would take about 50 times as long to do a full episode.

So, given the goal of the show is to help you decide if you want to buy a game, is a full episode worth 50 times as much as a short one? If these cost money, would it be worth 50 times as much to you to see a full episode?

The question I have to consider.. given my purpose in doing the show, is it worth it to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
A few comments after looking at the video:

- you also get points from occupying spaces in cities. This is actually a more important source of points than through selling off gems through the reverse bid;
- this isn't really an AP-game as all actions have the same value---you have 12 actions, and that's it, so there's no need to optimise your use of AP as is the case with Tikal & the gang;
- the actions may look complex, but can be broken down into 4 major groups: build a tunnel, build a station, discover a vein, and delve; in that respect the game is simpler than the older AP-titles;
- you are not required to select the longest tunnel for delving; you can easily pick the shortest too, or the one which sees veins emptying right before another player can walk through them;
- the effect of the dynamite phase is exxagerated considerably: it isn't a real 'reset' obliterating the entire board but rather erodes the board, affecting but a few routes. It is meant as a hindrance rather than a major obstacle.

However, I won't belittle the analysis paralysis aspect, because you must be able to visualise paths through the mountain and these tend to have a high tortuosity factor. On the other hand, everyone must keep their routes open lest they ruin their own chances of delving a lot of gems, so you are able to build in relative quiet. This isn't analysis paralysis from lots of mathy calculations, it's a.p. from map reading. If you are good at doing puzzle mazes with just your eyes, then you ought to give Cavum a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kevtor wrote:
...and your desire to build over the course of the game rather than having a "reset button", so I won't be adding this to my collection. Well done, sir!

The dynamite tiles:

A) Do not reset the game, just hinder a few paths, like cymric said, and

B) They prevent the Runaway-Leader Syndrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.