Subject: Freep and similar abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DMWTexas02 .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm attempting to reconcile a difference in opinion on how to use the Freep ability: "Three times per game during your maneuver phase, you may steal 3 random action cards from another player's hand."

Would this allow a player to use all three times in a single maneuver phase to net himself nine cards (and would therefore not be able to use the ability ever again)?

An experienced board games has told me that this WOULD allow a player to steal nine cards in a single maneuver phase, however, I disagree. My reason:

Imagine if the words "three times per game" were removed and the card simply read: "During your maneuver phase, you may steal 3 random action cards from another player's hand." This would allow you to steal three cards each turn, not an unlimited amount of cards. Now, add the text that reads, "Three times per game," and it would seem that you can only use this ability ONCE per turn for up to a total of three times.

Any thoughts from experienced Mag Blasters other than Jarred Handy???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Jex
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, we play that you can use this ability once per turn i.e. you can take three cards per turn not nine in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Loo
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because you should only be able to use the ability once per turn if the "three times per game" limit is removed (which would be the most logical course of action), does not necessarily mean that with the limit included the same rule should apply.

The text says, "Three times per game during your maneuver phase," but not "once per turn", so I assume you can use up all three uses in one turn if it is indeed advantageous to do so.That's the way I play it anyways :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.