Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Freeman
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played a war game and enjoyed it!!

Several weeks ago, hubby describes a new game he's reading about on line and I agree, it sounds like a fun game...so he orders it. EspaƱa 1936 arrives, and it's a war game. Being the agreeable wifey that I am, I say, "Sure, I'll try it." It sat around for a few weeks while he perused the rules. Then finally Black Friday rolls around and since I am so NOT the get-up-and-shop-at-4:30am type, we make Black Friday a game day and decide to crack open Espana 1936.

It has a very pretty map (I love maps, by the way) and a lot (but not too many) colorful bits. He even let me punch the bits while he went over the rules. We set the game up and as usual, at some point, we figure out that sometimes it's just easier to figure out the rules if we just start playing and look them up as we go.

A few hours (hey, it was our first game) and several ummm...shall we say "discussions," regarding dice roll modifiers, we finished the game. I played the Nationalists, he was the Republicans and at one point, I was sure I had the game bagged - I was up to 7 objective cities captured...but then, he swooped in and found a couple that I didn't have fortified enough and claimed the 3 cities that will give a victory.

I do have to say that I enjoyed the game. I don't know how I can get other wives to at least try it, except to maybe put a challenge out to the wives and girlfriends to at least try it - you never know, you might actually like it.

I do have to say though, to the guys, that it will help if you just be patient, make sure you have a good grasp of the rules (oh, and don't be offended if she wants to look at the rules for herself) and don't change how the die roll modifiers work each battle (sorry, sweetie, had to throw that one in there kiss )

I will end saying that I will definitely play this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for a good story, and a second thumbsup (on the thread) for not shopping on Buy Nothing Day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at that one, but can't get my head around the length. So I bought 2 de Mayo (which also has a nice map!) instead (as well as Manoeuvre and Battle for Hill 218), thinking those might be less time-intensive alternatives for sampling war(-like? -lite?) games.

That said, neither my husband nor my kid is a wargamer, so there's no pent-up demand here. Just experimentation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Freeman
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
thumbsup for a good story, and a second thumbsup (on the thread) for not shopping on Buy Nothing Day!

Thanks! This was my first posting. I've posted plenty of replies, but haven't actually started a thread myself.

I like "Buy Nothing Day" better also!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Freeman
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
I've been looking at that one, but can't get my head around the length. So I bought 2 de Mayo (which also has a nice map!) instead (as well as Manoeuvre and Battle for Hill 218), thinking those might be less time-intensive alternatives for sampling war(-like? -lite?) games.

That said, neither my husband nor my kid is a wargamer, so there's no pent-up demand here. Just experimentation.

It is a long game. It says 150 minutes, and I could see that. Our first game took much, much longer, but as I said, there were many discussions regarding the rules, and how the die roll modifiers work. We also took a lot of breaks to eat leftovers...ha! laugh

If you can find anyone willing to commit (perhaps even someone who already knows it so you don't spend so much time learning as you go), you should give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the game. Maybe we'll look at 2 de Mayo also, now that I know playing a war game isn't so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.