Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new question for us came up tonight. (can't believe we still have questions)

Anyway, Lorien was attacked early and did quite well. However, the Elves were not yet at war after the battle, but I wanted to sortie out and finish off the attacker. There was some discussion.

We agreed that a strict reading of the rules meant you could not do so, but thematically it didn't make much sense. (i.e. We just got attacked by that army and are under seige. We can easily take them, but we're not "at war" so we'll sit back and wait for them to rebuild.- - - Doesn't seem right, does it? )

So we decided just for tonight that we would allow a Nation not at war to sortie and I said I would post on here afterwards to determine just how wrong, if at all, we were.

So, this is a long winded way of asking: Can a Nation not "at war" sortie out of a stronghold?

Thanks.

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A sortie is an attack, and an Army belonging to a Nation not at War may not attack. The answer is no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's what we thought was true.

Now can anyone help me justify it thematically?

Just give me something. Make it up, I don't care.

Just help me justify why a stronghold that was just attacked would remain under seige by 1 regular unit when they have 2 elite, 1 regular unit and a leader inside.

Note: I am not trying to clarify or justify the rules. I understand that the rules are what they are and am not trying to change them. I just reaching out to all you creative types to provide a story reason why this could happen. Something more than the nation is "non-belligerant."

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A non-belligerent Nation, while still wary, isn't mobilized for war. The reason why the Nation isn't at war in the first place is that it doesn't place credibility on the threat of serious attack. Under that assumption, the attack can be considered a surprise.

The position of the Nation on the Political Track indicates the degree of surprise. The farther along a Nation is, the less the surprise factor affects it. This degree of surprise isn't represented in the game by how well the Nation defends itself (the defense is the same regardless), but rather how well it is able to react to the attack. A Nation pushed to at War status by the attack can react fully and immediately. A Nation not yet at War after the attack is still reeling from the shock of the attack. More organization is needed in order to prepare an active response. This is represented by the additional Muster die required to bring that Nation to War and allow it to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The elves are deluding themselves that Sauron has not returned, that this is just one of the periodic orc wars that sweep the misty mountains, and that it's best not to risk any of their immortal warriors in the field against the transient lives of orcish warriors. After all, the orcs will probably leave the field once their supplies run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I could never trump Mr Weasley's excellent explanation, here's a more humurous one:

The elves are too busy picking eleanor flowers and getting drunk, frolicking around and singing songs (ala the Rivendell and Woodland Realm elves in "The Hobbit") and only a few of the warriors (the ones that actually roll the defensive dice) are in any condition to respond to the attack.

Galadrial is busy daydreaming in her mirror, and Celeborn is off in a seculded glade with a couple of comely female elves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

We played it wrong last night, but that's ok because we still had a ton of fun.

Next time this situation occurs we can feel better playing it correctly because we know that the elves are all drunk and picking flowers.

Seriously though. Theme is more important to me in this game than in any other I have played. I appreciate the time for your responses in helping to maintain that theme within the rules.

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
The position of the Nation on the Political Track indicates the degree of surprise. The farther along a Nation is, the less the surprise factor affects it. This degree of surprise isn't represented in the game by how well the Nation defends itself (the defense is the same regardless), but rather how well it is able to react to the attack. A Nation pushed to at War status by the attack can react fully and immediately. A Nation not yet at War after the attack is still reeling from the shock of the attack. More organization is needed in order to prepare an active response. This is represented by the additional Muster die required to bring that Nation to War and allow it to attack.

Very nicely put. The Political Track is about readiness and willingness to go to war. If you are put suddenly under siege you are certainly willing to fight, but maybe you are not logistically ready yet. Thanks.

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.