Subject: Still confused about the pit lane rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I've read and re-read the pit lane rules but I still don't really get it, and hope someone can help clarify them for me.

Firstly, the rules say that you do not need to roll the exact number to reach one's own pits, and that to enter the pits you need to roll the minimum number required or higher using the die corresponding to the selected hear. My question is whether this is just bad phrasing or am I misreading it? "Minimum number required" to what?

Does that mean that if I am a blue player, and I roll a 5 coming out of the Anthony Noghes corner, I can just enter the pitlane and jump straight to the blue section?

Secondly, do cars stay on the pitlane of their colour (ie the spaces marked with 2 arrows), or do they physically move into their garages (ie the spaces to the left of the pitlane)?

Thirdly, if the answer to the above is that they stay on the pitlanes, what happens if a car enters the pitlane, but it's colour is further ahead, and a car of another colour is blocking it? Eg, if I am a blue player, but a yellow player has already pitted and is blocking the way to blue?

Fourthly, I'm also stumped by the exit rules, if I roll 1-10, i get to divide the number in 2 and move that number of spaces in 4th gear? But if roll 11-20, i wait an extra round, but I get to move off in 4th (or lower) gear? Meaning I can roll the 4th gear die, which can basically move me more spaces than if I had rolled 1-10? How would this work if I was a white player, and I rolled 1, thus moving just one space forward? Does that mean for the next turn I am still in the pitlane and can only move again in 4th gear?

Fifthly, why would a player ever choose to use the second pitlane space (ie the one that is to the rear)?

Thanks in advance for all your responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Firstly, the rules say that you do not need to roll the exact number to reach one's own pits, and that to enter the pits you need to roll the minimum number required or higher using the die corresponding to the selected hear. My question is whether this is just bad phrasing or am I misreading it? "Minimum number required" to what?

The you do not need to roll the exact number means that if you overshoot, there is no penalty. For example, if I was 13 away from my pit stall, rolled in fifth gear and got a 16, I could enter the pit. The 3 extra movement are ignored. But the minimum rule also applies. Again, if I was 13 away for the pit and rolled 12, I would be one short of entering the pit stall.

Quote:
Secondly, do cars stay on the pitlane of their colour (ie the spaces marked with 2 arrows), or do they physically move into their garages (ie the spaces to the left of the pitlane)?

You actually enter the "garage", but think of it more as your pit stall.

Quote:
Thirdly, if the answer to the above is that they stay on the pitlanes, what happens if a car enters the pitlane, but it's colour is further ahead, and a car of another colour is blocking it? Eg, if I am a blue player, but a yellow player has already pitted and is blocking the way to blue?

You take the pit inside the pit stall, not in the pit lane. However, as in your example, it is possible that you can be blocked by a car leaving its pit. In this case, you are held up and cannot pit until your next turn.

Quote:
Fourthly, I'm also stumped by the exit rules, if I roll 1-10, i get to divide the number in 2 and move that number of spaces in 4th gear? But if roll 11-20, i wait an extra round, but I get to move off in 4th (or lower) gear? Meaning I can roll the 4th gear die, which can basically move me more spaces than if I had rolled 1-10? How would this work if I was a white player, and I rolled 1, thus moving just one space forward? Does that mean for the next turn I am still in the pitlane and can only move again in 4th gear?

You are correct in regards to the quick pit rules. If you manage the quick pit, you can still only leave the pit in 4th gear. But you are now 1-5 spaces further than if you hadn't managed to quick pit.

Quote:
Fifthly, why would a player ever choose to use the second pitlane space (ie the one that is to the rear)?

As in your first example, a player may pit in the rear pit stall because they have to achieve at least the minimum. So, if you are 13 away from the rear stall and, therefore, 14 away from the front stall, you would use the 13 in the event that you rolled that number. Otherwise, if you roll equal or above the amount of the forward stall, you will use that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. if I am a blue player, and I roll a 5 coming out of the Anthony Noghes corner, I can just enter the pitlane and jump straight to the blue section?

No. If you came out of the A.N. Corner (assuming you were in the inside lane) and rolled a 5 you would end your move adjacent to the first white pit box on the pit lane.

Quote:
2. do cars stay on the pitlane of their colour (ie the spaces marked with 2 arrows), or do they physically move into their garages

They physically move into their pit space. This does not need to be done by exact count (you may go over the number required to enter).

Quote:
Thirdly

Won't apply upon entering your box but may upon exiting.

Quote:
4. if I roll 1-10, i get to divide the number in 2 and move that number of spaces in 4th gear? But if roll 11-20, i wait an extra round, but I get to move off in 4th (or lower) gear?

Once you enter your pit box, roll the black die:
- If you roll a 1-10, divide the number by 2 (round up) and immediately leave the pit box back into the pit lane moving that number of spaces. Put your gear shifter into 4th gear if it wasn't there.
- If you roll a 11-20 you remain in the pit box. On your next turn, roll the green die for 4th gear and move that many spaces (you can decide to come out in a lower gear but there's usually no reason to do so since collisions, braking and engine damage don't apply in the pit lane. However, they might if you manage to exit the pit lane and end up in a position where they would apply due to being stuck behind or adjacent to other vehicles).

In your example, if you rolled a 1 after entering your pit, you would immediately come out of the pit box into one of the 2 spaces next to your pit area. You would be in 4th gear.

Quote:
5. why would a player ever choose to use the second pitlane space (ie the one that is to the rear)?

If you entered the pit lane and a car was blocking your forward pit box you would enter in the 2nd one (the one to the rear). When exiting, the same would apply if someone was blocking the forward box due to also being in the pit lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
this is a considerable difference because a quick pit stop alows you to leave the pitstop at once with some bonus spaces plus you get to change to fith gear the turn after the pit stop. The slow pit stop on the other hand forces you to roll for fourth gear(or less) when you get out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, you are correct. There is a huge difference.
Some have introduced a house rule regarding entrance speed.
It goes like this: You can only enter pitlane in fourth gear or less. Max speed in the pitlane is fourth gear.
It makes pitting different. This rule is an official rule for the oval tracks released for Formula De. (Indianapolis oval and Daytona oval.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Söderberg
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
but what does that have to do with what happens after the pitstop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Trigueiro
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding you only have to wait for the players ahead of you in the pit lane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
tornadog wrote:
if I am in the pit lane and there are players on the circuit between the pit lane enter and exit, do I have to wait till they all pass the pit or can I take my turn after they have rolled their die in the same turn.

You can take your turn after they have rolled their die in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
abel_set wrote:
but what does that have to do with what happens after the pitstop?

There is two options for for house rules so you can solve your problem with this issue.

1. Play without quickstop. Every player have to wait until his next turn before he leaves the pitbox in fourth gear. IMHO not a good rule, because you have no reward for not damaging your car.

2. Play with quickstop and bonus spaces, but next turn after a pitstop has to be in fourth gear or lower. So no gearing up into fifth after a successfull quickstop. You limit the difference, but gives players a better chance of hitting the first corner with their next roll.

What do you think, abel_set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C, Arnold III
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just recieved my formula d. and i took it that you enter your pit stall on the first set of arrows and exited on the second. seemed the only way to do it. has any one else thought this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timeroler wrote:
i just recieved my formula d. and i took it that you enter your pit stall on the first set of arrows and exited on the second. seemed the only way to do it. has any one else thought this way.

ditto! And if we use two cars on the same team we made a 'house rule' that the designated leader uses the first pitbox/garage and the second car uses the second pitbox/garage. works well for us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C, Arnold III
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh. i was using the pit box garage as one space. i guess if two cars pitted of the same color it would have to be first in first out. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So does the garage count as a space? Do you have to reach the arrow or the garage? When leaving, does the arrow count as a space? Or is the garage just a free space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
badge
If this isn't nice, what is?
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
So does the garage count as a space? Do you have to reach the arrow or the garage? When leaving, does the arrow count as a space? Or is the garage just a free space?

It seems like it would be a space like any other though I'm not an authority on the subject. Anyone have an official answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shumby wrote:
AstroLad wrote:

It seems like it would be a space like any other though I'm not an authority on the subject. Anyone have an official answer?

Strange, right? I may have to dig up some Formula De league rules or something to see what they think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Regarding the pit space, if I enter it on the initial space with the 2 arrows (the one to the rear) because of a low die roll, can I exit the pit space via the more forward pitlane space? Basically, I'm wondering if that pit space is to be treated as one large space, or if you have to enter back into the race from the same space you exited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kovar
Czech Republic
Prague 6
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4095166#4095166
I put some q about pitlane here. It's about leaving pit during quick pit stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.