Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point out that I've only read the rulebook; I've never played or even seen the game. With that said ...

If I'm not mistaken, the Joinery gives you 5/6/7 Francs for 1/2/3 wood. I interpret that to mean that your first wood gives 5 Francs, with your second and third wood netting 1 Franc each.

If that's the case, why would anyone give up those 2nd and 3rd wood chits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a huge excess or they need the extra 2 Francs to cover for a food shortage? Late in games I've seen the wood offer get quite large. However I'm with you. If using the Joinery I ususally sell just 1 wood.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levin
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also something to be said for maximizing that action. Sure there are other ways to get money on later turns, but that requires the use of another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donivan McKenzie
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sefton wrote:
There's also something to be said for maximizing that action. Sure there are other ways to get money on later turns, but that requires the use of another action.
that's exactly the reason. Especially in 4 or 5 player games when you're only getting 1 or 2 actions a round. Making optimal use of your actions is much more important than trying to squeeze every Franc you can out of your wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
What the three above me said. a) One action only, b) you may well have more wood than you need, c) You may be desperate for that extra Franc or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed in the few games that I have played that Joinery has never been used by anybody. If it gets built early enough then it seems as though it might be worth using, but later in the game it doesn't seem powerful enough compared to other choices you may have. Do others use it regularly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it get used in the last two games I played, used it myself in one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimF wrote:
I've noticed in the few games that I have played that Joinery has never been used by anybody. If it gets built early enough then it seems as though it might be worth using, but later in the game it doesn't seem powerful enough compared to other choices you may have. Do others use it regularly?

Like most early buildings, the usefulness of the Joinery fades fast. As soon as a special building offering Francs becomes available it will be preferable. The reason to use the Joinery in the early game is because other than the Franc offer space and selling buildings it is the only way to raise cash. This is a good way to buy a Wooden Ship if the Wharves are buried, or to buy up buildings that can be very useful to own, like the Construction Firm. With more players the Joinery sees more use since it's less often you'll have an opportunity to take Francs.

The problem I see with the Joinery is that the cost is high. Wood is a valuable resource early in the game, and nearly worthless late (unless you plan to turn it into charcoal). With no entry fee I could see the Joinery as a decent action but at a cost of 1 food you are only really gaining 3 by using it (+5 -1 entry, -1 wood) assuming the Wood is worth 1 Franc, its shipping value. Owning it makes the action palatable but there should nearly always be something better if you do not own it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.