John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister is our family historian. She has recently began scanning old photos to her computer for archiving. Some of these have creases or scratches she'd like to clean up, some are faded with age, etc.

What would you recommend that would be easy for her to do some light touch up work?
She is an information worker so she is PC literate but she's no geek when it comes to graphic arts.

Is there a simple and inexpensive way to convert 35MM slides to digital images? My dad shot thousands of 35mm slides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing a few years ago, both photos and slides, and found the Ulead PhotoImpact to be easy to use, did a very nice job of cleaning up faded photos with one button, and relatively inexpensive. You can download a trial version to see how it works at Ulead.com. It also has lots of other abilities to let you play with the photos but you don't need to mess with any of that unless you want to.

As for the slides, we found a scanner that has an attachment for scanning them. This also worked very well and I know there are still some scanners that come with this extra. They aren't very expensive and would probably be worth it for "thousands" of slides.

Edit: Oh, and the Ulead program has a tool for removing scratches and those deterioration dots you'll find on old photos when you scan them. For me, who has very little computer skills, it was easy and fun. I thought it was $50 well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:

Is there a simple and inexpensive way to convert 35MM slides to digital images?

Funny you should ask this. My father in law just asked me this same thing over Thanksgiving. He's got approximately 1500 slides from his brother who died a few years ago. My father in law is in his 80s and is not computer literate. It would be an impossible task for him to buy a slide capable scanner, spend weeks scanning, touch up etc.

I found this place with some quick searching. Seems pretty reasonable for the number of slides he has and within the realm of quality he'd be able to discern. It's also not too far away from where he lives.

http://www.superiorslides.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.