Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really enjoying the AGoT LCG stuff, and I think I'd like to get in on FFG's fire sale of their old content for the CCG, particularly the booster display boxes for $25.

I need some advice on which sets are considered to be "better" in the old CCG format to help with my purchasing. Anyone?

Also, is this a fool's errand? I know that the old CCG stuff is compatible with the new LCG, but since I'm only going to be playing casually (draft, a little bit of deck-building) is it worth all the trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, only the Chapter Pack series called "A Clash of Kings" is compatible with both formats. Everything that is on sale isn't supposed to be part of the new format...thus the sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the CCG, What is changed in the LCG that makes it not compatable with the older cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zxqueb wrote:
I've only played the CCG, What is changed in the LCG that makes it not compatable with the older cards?

This is also kind of my question. I've been having a hard time finding a good answer to this since the old FFG boards for AGoT disappeared on their new website.

I think - and mind you this is only from hearsay - that the old cards are completely compatible with the new format, but just won't be supported in any kind of tournament play. This is what I'm hoping as well, since I'd like to snag a few display boxes on the cheap and have some fun deckbuilding for casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general matter, the old cards are compatible with the new LCG era cards from what I understand from playing the game for about a year now. Over time the game has seen some mechanics added (and others fade away), but not many and it doesn't prevent cards from different sets from being played together. Mixing cards across a multitude of sets may not be the best way to build a brutally efficient tournament deck (although some unexpected synergies can probably also be found), but for casual play it shouldn't matter. One thing to note is that the card face went through a style redesign with the Iron Throne Edition being the first set with the "new look". Both the old and the new design convey the same information, the new one being more aesthetically pleasing while the old look is, in my opinion, easier to understand for new players. If visual uniformity is important to you, you probably want to avoid cards older than Iron Throne Edition although you can't completely maintain uniformity since the card borders were black for all sets through the first six LCG chapter packs but switched to white with the roll out of the Core Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGoRed wrote:
As a general matter, the old cards are compatible with the new LCG era cards from what I understand from playing the game for about a year now. Over time the game has seen some mechanics added (and others fade away), but not many and it doesn't prevent cards from different sets from being played together. Mixing cards across a multitude of sets may not be the best way to build a brutally efficient tournament deck (although some unexpected synergies can probably also be found), but for casual play it shouldn't matter. One thing to note is that the card face went through a style redesign with the Iron Throne Edition being the first set with the "new look". Both the old and the new design convey the same information, the new one being more aesthetically pleasing while the old look is, in my opinion, easier to understand for new players. If visual uniformity is important to you, you probably want to avoid cards older than Iron Throne Edition although you can't completely maintain uniformity since the card borders were black for all sets through the first six LCG chapter packs but switched to white with the roll out of the Core Set.

This is awesome. Thanks for the detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.