5 Posts

Red November» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time below the surface. Mistakes were made. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignatius Diquendas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My brother and I drove around town looking for a copy of Pandemic. We couldn’t find it. We did, however, find Red November.

We brought it to my house and set it aside to be played later that night. My other brother, along with his wife, came over, as well as my sister. Between them, me, and my wife we were looking forward to a nice six player session. My children, on the other hand had other plans. I have twin three year old little girls who decided that night that they were not going to cooperate at bedtime. By the time they were down and all was quiet, my wife had fallen asleep with them, my sister had gone home because she had to work in the morning, and my brother and his wife had decided to go see a movie. This left me and my other brother to crack open the game and save the gnomes.

Our mistake was this: the box says 2-8 players. No where in the directions does it explain that in order for two players to play they should both control multiple gnomes. So, probably due to the late hour and our being tired and frazzled from dealing with hyper three year olds we made the strange decision that the directions must be mistaken and two people can, indeed, play the game.

Also probably due to fatigue we had some trouble understanding the directions, maybe they’re just a little confusing with or without fatigue also. So we decided to set up the game and play along as we read the directions to familiarize ourselves, something we do with most games.

We started off very impressed with the time mechanic and we let out sighs of desperate anticipation as we read the crazy things that could happen in the instructions. So I come to the part where I feel I must inform everyone that although, yes, technically you can play with only two gnomes, I can almost guarantee a quick and easy win. The cool things we read about in the directions and were so eager to experience either never happened (we did not exhaust the card deck, so we never saw the Kraken) or they were fairly easy to handle with just the two of us traversing the time track. The problem with only two gnomes is that not very many events happen because not enough players are passing over the event spaces on the time track.

I will have to admit that somehow we missed the part in the directions about moving the asphyxiation track along with every fire. If we had done this the outcome may have been different since we did start quite a few fires.

The game was basically a series of fire and broken hatch cards for the first few hands, so we decided that we had not shuffled the deck well. After a mid game shuffle we started seeing a few timed events and even some “nothing happens” cards. Again, you have to remember that this was a trial run while learning the game.

Between the “nothing happens” cards, a couple of lucky rubber duckies, and my brothers decision to have his gnome do nothing the first few rounds while we read the directions, we found our time on the sub to be way easier than it should have been.

Needless to say, we survived the full game and were saved, and it only took about thirty real world minutes. Despite our mistake of not having enough gnomes we realized the great potential of this game and greatly looked forward to playing it with enough people, or gnomes. I might even try to teach it to my girls to hopefully avoid any future set backs like that night, although I’m pretty sure they may be a little young.

Since then we have played it properly and greatly enjoyed it. Oh, and I also got a copy of Pandemic on it’s way, can’t wait to play it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are hard to understand the first, second and sometimes third time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albuterol boy wrote:
Oh, and I also got a copy of Pandemic on it’s way, can’t wait to play it wrong.

Made me smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Batten
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice honest and amusing session report,thanks. I think I play every game wrong at least once, sometimes it's interesting to see what happens when a rule is omitted or warped beyond imagining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Robohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
Multiple Gnomes per player in a two player game? That certainly changes everything. While we did remember the Asphyxiation track(albiet the second game played) we felt totally in control and lacking the intensity we craved with the likes of Pandemic. We did recognise the added hazards that would come around the more players we had. We just lacked the people to play...that and to be honest we were more into playing Dominion at the time.

With that, I can breathe a sigh of relief that we had been playing the game wrong. A good -$20 spent. Props to FF for the small inexpensive games and packaging. While a tight fit inside, it makes it the perfect game for camping trips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.