Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Roma» Forums » Rules

Subject: cards with activation cost that do not require activation with a die? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first game of Roma the other day and came up with several rules questions. All of them are addressed in the forums except this one: Why do some cards, for example Turis and Templum, have an activation cost when they do not require a die to be activated (at least as we understand the card text/rules)? Must this cost be payed when the effect of the card is evoked?

My first thought at first there might be a card that converted an in-play card to gold or something, but there doesn't seem to be such a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of those two cards hav an activation cost. The Turris is always in effect. The Templum may be activated when you use a forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:
My wife and I played our first game of Roma the other day and came up with several rules questions. All of them are addressed in the forums except this one: Why do some cards, for example Turis and Templum, have an activation cost when they do not require a die to be activated (at least as we understand the card text/rules)? Must this cost be payed when the effect of the card is evoked?

My first thought at first there might be a card that converted an in-play card to gold or something, but there doesn't seem to be such a card.

What do you mean by an "activation cost"? All cards have a cost to play (the Gold) and a defence value (the Shield). Turris and Templum do not require a die to activate them (that is the die with an X in the upper corner).

The only time the gold must be payed is when the card is first played from your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
The only time the gold must be payed is when the card is first played from your hand.

And there you have it...we were playing wrong! Now that I look in the rules, there are big red underlines under the coin that clearly explain it is the price of the card _when it is laid down_. I'm not sure how we missed it. We were playing when you _activate_ a card with the dice you pay the cost rather than when you lay it. The whole time we kept asking ourselves how can anyone ever run out of victory points if it costs nothing to lay a card down? This explains some of that. Thanks for setting us straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwsipe wrote:
Thanks for setting us straight.

You are welcome... Have fun with Roma, it's a neat little two-player game. My wife and I haven't played it in a while; maybe it's time to dig it out again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.