Subject: Arrgh! Solo MR is soooo hard! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I am slowly working my way through the characters in alpha order. Finally got a win with the druid. Now the elf is taking forever. I think it's not the toon so much as the fact that it is solo!

With more toons on the board there would be more chits revealed and you could see where you should go faster. Solo, you must explore everything yourself. So often it seems I spend two thirds of the game just moving around trying to find something to loot.

Also: the missions, like War, Revolt, etc. Is it even possible to make use of these in a non-solo game? For solo play they are a joke - by the time I have that much notoriety the clock has run out. Do people play two-month games? I could see them being useful over a longer timespan, but 28 days just seems too short.

Mostly I find meeting the victory requirements to be well-nigh impossible in solo play as soon as you stray from the easiest characters. Is this everyone's experience? Or am I missing something?

Any advanced advice appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb

Here's a list of Magic Realm session reports that include a successful solo game for each of the 16 characters.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/boardgame/0?usern...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
What VCs and spells have you been choosing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Thanks I will read through these for some pointers.

For VCs it varies but for a character like the elf or druid it seems to be something like:
1 Great Treasure
0 Spells
1 Fame
1 Notoriety
2 Gold

The spells just slow me down too much - not only is it another thing to roll for with low probability, but you are likely to be cursed and that will cause all sorts of pain. Wither is a game-ender.

I pick 2 Gold because, hey, you can sell anything. But I'm going to start toning it down for the L weight guys since a lot of the pricey items weigh M or more.

Usual spells:

Druid - Guide Spider/Octopus, Remedy (usually)
Elf - Persuade, Control Bats

I'll see if the articles help. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Uh... dumb question, but I have M4, my hirelings are move time 4, and we are threatened by giants with move time 5. I run - but my hirelings don't? Do hirelings never run? I can't find a relevant rule.

I thought the ones that could make it would go with me. Is there any way to make your hirelings run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Hirelings don't run away. You would hope for 2 uneventful turns to have them get away from a combat.

I am not an expert by any means. I have won with the Elf twice but me forgetting rules may have involuntarily weighed in the results.

In any event, other spells you could consider are: Peace With Nature (crowd control), See Hidden Signs (extra Search) and Protection From Magic (Curse removal).

I hate taking Great Treasure as a VC as I consider it a bit of a lottery to get. Furthermore, some have a Fame or Notoriety penalty making it harder on the other VCs. If I get one, I just plan to sell it at some point.

One way I enjoyed playing with the Elf is to get the Medium Bow from the Woodfolk and then Hiring them. This makes it hard to run away but you can fight less numerous monsters well, including Armored T monsters. I just hang around the House, try to kill Soldier HQ to get his stuff while waiting for the Woodfolk.

These are just some basic things I tried. I am still a newbie. Hopefully, you will get some of the experts to give some efficient tips. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
instinctive wrote:
Uh... dumb question, but I have M4, my hirelings are move time 4, and we are threatened by giants with move time 5. I run - but my hirelings don't? Do hirelings never run? I can't find a relevant rule.

I thought the ones that could make it would go with me. Is there any way to make your hirelings run?

If you run away, you leave your hirelings to their fate fighting whatever you left in the clearing.

Third Edition Rule 8.3.7e: "Hirelings never do actions. They never run away."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Okay, the strategy of sitting there and sniping the native hqs to get their stuff totally works. Final score of 24. But it does feel a bit broken...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, winning solo games with all the characters (16 original plus about 48 custom-made characters on the Internet) requires first and foremost experience.
The learning curve in Magic Realm is definitely steep. When you are new to MR, there are many nunances that you just don't see after only two dozen games.
In addition to the documents mentioned by other geeks above, I would recommend the video character examples on

http://www.bookshelfgames.com/mr/mrchardir.html

Just stumbling into the realm and looking for loot is NOT the way to go in MR. Some characters never loot a treasure site in the whole game because they are making their points in other ways.

Speaking about points. I almost never put more than 1 VP in gold, because you usually are better off spending your money to hire natives. These help you to explore the map (if native HQ), kill monsters (fame and notoriety) and loot belongings (gold).

Regarding missions and campaigns:
It took me a while (and a helpful hint here on BGG) to realize that you should not try to fulfill these missions' targets at all. Just take the better relationship with certain groups to hire these natives. Then make your points somewhere else.

Returning to the importance of play experience. I have now played more than a 200 solo games on Realmspeak and my win-loss-record now is at about 50% (win = zero points or better) playing with 3rd edition rules, watchful natives and most of the optional and advanced rules. I have also died in less than 20% of those games, a figure I would have rated absolutely impossible a couple of months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
instinctive wrote:
Okay, the strategy of sitting there and sniping the native hqs to get their stuff totally works. Final score of 24. But it does feel a bit broken...

Make sure that you click on "Watchful Natives." It was noticed by many Magic Realm players that the strategy of slaughtering the natives was just too easy (try the Witch King with "Fiery Blast" and "World Fades"!). After checking with Richard Hamblen, we discovered that he had intended to include something similar to "Watchful Natives" in the Second Edition rules, but it was cut out at the last minute. "Watchful Natives" doesn't make attacking the native HQ's impossible, but it is rarely cost-free.

Also use the "Extended Treachery," "Grudges and Gratitude," and "Extended Grudges and Gratitude" optional rules from the Third Edition. It can be a real problem to create enemies of a bunch of native groups that regenerate and make it dangerous to hang around the dwellings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.