Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm sure about 5000 threads have been dropped on this topic. I did search for a while through categories and forums looking at games and topics, but still. I have to ask in case I'm missing something.

I'm looking for a great dungeon crawl game. Something to crown as king in my bookshelf of games. I don't own any published Crawl games, they are all either self made through me and friends, or print and plays. I'm looking for something with, for lack of a better word, detail. Maybe even go as far and say as nerdy as you can get before busting out the encyclopedias known as D&D. I have looked at the D&D board game and it looks fun but the reviews and looking it over made me shy away. I bought the basic D&D as well as the 3rd edition books, but that's not my thing. Sometimes it may only be me and a friend or four of us on a good night away from the women and children.

We sat down a few years ago and took the 3rd edition D&D books and made our own Basic D&D, took away the need for a game master, etc. It was great. We still play it and have a blast but looking for something a little different. Cause even our home made games are a lot of rolling on charts, sometimes four in a row. They are as close to D&D as you can get and not need three books to play it. We want to find a fun dungeon crawl board game. With decent rules we can build on if need be, good content, replayablity, etc. I'm sure several here get where I'm coming from without making more huge walls of text.

Will check replies after work tomorrow, and answer any questions about our basic D&D for 1+ players if any pop up, but I'm tired and starting to lose focus. Thanks in advance,

BB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're asking a tough question.

I'd say one could be Warhammer Quest which is a great game, but I think it was dethroned by Descent: Journeys in the Dark IF and ONLY IF you play withDescent: The Road to Legend which is an AWESOME game for the Dungeon Crawl. In my book that would probably be the "KING" of the Dungeoncrawls.

Now if you aren't only restricted to Dungeon Crawls there are others such as Runebound which are outstanding, but as for the King of Dungeon Crawls, that would probably be my selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
GreyLord wrote:
I'd say one could be Warhammer Quest which is a great game, but I think it was dethroned by Descent: Journeys in the Dark IF and ONLY IF you play withDescent: The Road to Legend which is an AWESOME game for the Dungeon Crawl. In my book that would probably be the "KING" of the Dungeoncrawls.

I second this vote. If you're asking the BGG crowd, I think this one has to be considered #1. Unless you're looking for a game *without* a GM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
A good game without a GM is DungeonQuest. Be warned, though, that there's much more luck than strategy. Play only if you're in a good mood and don't mind seeing your character fall into a bottomless pit or get blasted by the dragon in the center of the board. (When it happens, though, you'll think it's hilarious. Especially if it happens to other people.)

If you want something with more strategy, try Descent: Journeys in the Dark. You'll need one player to act as Overlord, who is generally an antagonist but can be a more like a storytelling GM if you and your friends want. There's also a feature on the Fantasy Flight website that lets you make or download new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark combined with Descent: The Road to Legend, as GreyLord stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw Tomb in there as well. It's probably more luck than strategy, but for what it is, it captures the spirit of the dungeon crawl. I think there is room for rules growth, but it is not nearly as deep as some of the other games on this list (nor was it designed to be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I'll throw Tomb in there as well. It's probably more luck than strategy, but for what it is, it captures the spirit of the dungeon crawl. I think there is room for rules growth, but it is not nearly as deep as some of the other games on this list (nor was it designed to be).

Second that!!

"RECRUIT A PARTY. KILL THE MONSTERS. TAKE THEIR STUFF!"

What more do you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomb doesn't really feel like a dungeon crawl at all to me.

Heroquest will always be the king of Dungeon Crawls in my opinion (this might have something to do with the fact that I haven't played it in years because I can't bear to discover how badly its aged).

Descent is really probably the best dungeon crawl that's around at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The out of print "Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel" is a very good dungeon crawl game with a sci-fi setting, harder to find now but worth getting if you like that sort of thing. You can make a quite good dungeon crawl type experience with Heroscape, but getting it all now that it's kind of in hibernation might be expensive and tough. For my part, I would actually recommend buying into WoW: Minis, since you have Alliance, Horde and Monster characters to choose from at the start. With a little imagination it would be no big deal to build a really fun, great dungeon crawl with Heroscape terrain, which is plentifully available on eBay and through House Mouse games.

WoW: Minis is a very well done game that has all the elements that make for good Dungeon Crawls, and the monsters are actually interesting to play and not just automatically rolled up and defeated. It has spawn points, terrain, line of sight, and is point based, all of which make it ideal for crafting dungeon type environments. All it lacks is items to retrieve, quests which could easily be constructed, and a storyline. Since Legendary figures are already being released, you already have them available as bosses. With just a starter and a few boosters you would probably have more than enough for some cool dungeon crawl games, especially if you can round up some of the good Heroscape terrain like the Castle sets, the lava or ice, and the trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out the new D&D 4th edition. It has become VERY boardgame-y and many die-hard boardgamers have newfound interest in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
WoW: Minis is a very well done game that has all the elements that make for good Dungeon Crawls, and the monsters are actually interesting to play and not just automatically rolled up and defeated. It has spawn points, terrain, line of sight, and is point based, all of which make it ideal for crafting dungeon type environments. All it lacks is items to retrieve, quests which could easily be constructed, and a storyline. Since Legendary figures are already being released, you already have them available as bosses. With just a starter and a few boosters you would probably have more than enough for some cool dungeon crawl games, especially if you can round up some of the good Heroscape terrain like the Castle sets, the lava or ice, and the trees.

Isn't this kinda like saying a good Chess set is just a few additions away from being a historically cased wargame, all you need is the individual unit rules, terrain, objectives, and context?

If you're looking for the current King DC, I don't think it's any debate: Descent paired with the Road to Legend expansion, and there's a good argument to be made for just Descent on its own.

Opening the discussion up to all time DCers, I think it falls to a battle between Descent and Warhammer Quest, with the winner determined more by your individual taste than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
TOMB!?!?!?!

Calling Tomb "king of the dungeon crawls" is like calling 2Fast 2Furious king of the epics. Give me a break!

Frankly it's a toss up between Descent and Warhammer Quest. I can't think of any others that qualify. Maybe magic realm if you stretch the Dungeon Crawl definition, or D&D 4th ed if you want to make the case its a boardgame.

Descent has nothin' on Warhammer Quest/Advanced Heroquest unless you are considering availability. I do like Dorn but it doesn't have a campaign game. DungeonQuest (the king IMO) and Mystic Wood are fun too, but also missing the campaign aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
You may want to check out the new D&D 4th edition. It has become VERY boardgame-y and many die-hard boardgamers have newfound interest in the game.

I second this suggestion. Third edition was very hard on the DM. Fourth has been a breeze. I'm a relatively new DM, but modifying encounters on the fly and working with the system has never been easier. There's even a random dungeon generator chapter in the DMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knick Burton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the input guys. Lots of good suggestions and points about games. I'm looking more into Warhammer Quest, Advanced Heroquest, and Descent with the xpac. I looked into D&D e4 and it's mixed reviews. I want to get it for when I can really get all the guys together, but 40 bucks a book. Whew, I'm going to have to check out torrents and DL em for free until I can shell the money out.

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free. I would like a game with no need for a Dungeon Master, but with is fine. Just nice to have the option of two or even solo play sometimes in some games. After the holidays I'm going to have to pick up a couple games. Just trying for ideas now.

I've turned away from console games and slowly putting World of Warcraft down after three years of play. The new xpac just isn't as amazing as I thought. I've really got into board games, in general Master Labyrinth and Carcassonne have been getting a lot of table time when my homemade dungeon crawls and homemade Space Hulk are put away. I just love the Dungeon Crawl based games and trying to expand on that.

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate it!
BB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.