United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest girl came home and announced her teacher just got some new board games for the class: Battleship and Othello. I groaned. "How could you let this happen? Haven't I taught you better than that?"

Here's my question. My wife and I have decided to buy board games for our kid's teachers this Christmas. So what I need are a few recommendations: for science, math, history/government and literature. A few constraints. These are kids from 5th grade (10 years old) to 8th grade (13 years old). The games have to be fast to teach and fast to play (20-30 minutes tops).

What say ye?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Set. We played so much Set in math class. It was really fun. For others a simply chess/checkers set is always nice since a lot of people already know the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Language: Apples to Apples Junior is a good one.

Science: Polarity Magnetism obviously, but another one more about the scientific method would be Zendo

History/Government: Depends how complex you want to go - from Road to the White House to 1960: The Making of the President and beyond... certainly though these will last longer than you want. If you are after Geography at all I can suggest the 10 Days series or the TransAmerica/Europa games.

Maths (there are more for this area than any other): Carcassonne (spatial skills, pattern recognition and basic number facts), or Unnamed Object (division, addition, risk management, chance etc) are two good ones.

There are a great many more games for each area, I would also suggest checking out (or providing a link to) www.gamesforeducators.com - which is a website for teachers about board and card games and how the relate to education.

Good luck and I wish you great success!!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried and scored with 5th Graders:
Diamant
Walk the Dogs
Ubongo
Hey! That's my Fish
Loopin' Louie
Get Bit!
Tsuro
Snorta

Oops, responded without reading entire post
Other games I have used with success:
Math--Poison
Social Studies--Democrazy
Science--AC/DC
Language--Apples to Apples Junior
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief, well you really can't get much farther from educational value than Battleship.

Here's a few good classroom-friendly quickies I enjoy that that have some more merit:
Hive
Ingenious
Blokus
YINSH

Really I think Hive is the most appropriate of the bunch. It's quick to teach, quick to play, inexpensive to buy, lots of educational value with strategy and planning. (EDIT: Oh, and I forgot it's nearly indestructible too ... which is very important for a classroom game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to your kid and the teacher before you donate. I was going to donate some games to my daughter's school, but was told the games were used for free time and indoor recess. Therefore, unless the kids already knew how to play or were motivated to teach themselves, the games wouldn't get used and would just end up in the school tag sale. I was disappointed, but glad they were honest with me. I donated a bunch of jigsaw puzzles instead, and they were very happy to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attribute is a quick and fun adjective matching game, suitable for kids of such age. Kinda educational, cheap and definitely fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
So what I need are a few recommendations: for science, math, history/government and literature. A few constraints. These are kids from 5th grade (10 years old) to 8th grade (13 years old). The games have to be fast to teach and fast to play (20-30 minutes tops).

Doing it by subject is a bad idea.
You'll quickly pigeonhole yourself into games that aren't really educational, rather pandering.

NinjaBob's list got it right. I would add Ricochet Robots to his list.

The thing is you don't want to teach "math" or "science" or "literature".
You want to explore graph theory, or problem solving and such. Games are a mechanism, not a means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Liekens
Belgium
hechtel
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dvonn would be great as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hubbard
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A few constraints. These are kids from 5th grade (10 years old) to 8th grade (13 years old). The games have to be fast to teach and fast to play (20-30 minutes tops).

Well, I subbed a 5th grade class for a week, teaching groups of 3 how to play Settlers of Catan during lunch. By the fourth day, I was able to let the interested kids teach the other students how to play, which freed me up to play Carcassonne with some of the more 'challenged' students.

Settlers may not fit your parameters, but as listed above from other replies, Carcassonne and Hey, That's My Fish! will always be played, once taught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Good grief, well you really can't get much farther from educational value than Battleship.

Hey Now! Wait a minute! I have successfully used Battleship to teach map-reading skills, specifically grid coordinates. Then I up the ante and start playing "Go-style" by playing on the intersections of the grid coordinates when I teach real Longitude and Latitude.

How much Longitude and Latitude really have to do with much of anything, I ain't really sure

But Hey, I taught 'em! State Standard checked off (in at least a slightly amusing way, no less!)

Ok OK, ALL the other games mentioned here are better than battleship, but it isn't completely bad.

I like Rat-a-Tat Cat, quick and with an element of bluffing. Not a tremendous curriculum connection, but fun nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was relieving at this level once and took some of our games in case the kids had free time. Apparently No Thanks! was a huge hit. Simple game, with I guess some maths application, but the kids really seemed to take to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.