Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game Ranking: Manipulated?
chipwizard wrote:
I'd like to ask your opinion about the game ranking: is it manipulated or not?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...

Because I find it hard to believe that an utter piece of crap, like Agricola can jump to the top place without external manipulation.

Strange you have rated Agricola at 7 which doesn't indicate a piece of crap to me. Many people have rated it much higher (and have backed it up with commentary). There are nearly 5,500 people who have rated the game. So I do not think that the rating system is manipulated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Actualy yes...from what I heard, Aldie just got a brand new Porsche from Lookout Games in return for positioning Agricola at #1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Wizard
United States
flag msg tools
I have rated it 7, but now i would rate it lower.

Anyway, thanks for the big nothing as replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the big nothing as replies!

You can change your ratings whenever you want, so feel free to do so: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/chipwizard?rate...

Suggestion for your next thread: conspiracy keeping Rummy out of the top 10?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and here I thought this was going to be about Dominion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bullwinkle
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Are the rankings manipulated? No.

Are people's opinions manipulated? Oh yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Wizard
United States
flag msg tools
Okay, this isn't about Agricola. I've just read this somewhere in the forum, and thought I'd ask it. It was a bad idea. Bigtimers can't reply without attacking the newbie.

But Kevin S has the good idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:
Okay, this isn't about Agricola. I've just read this somewhere in the forum, and thought I'd ask it. It was a bad idea. Bigtimers can't reply without attacking the newbie.

Please point me to the reply that you considered "attacking you".
These are, apart from a few exceptions, the most polite forums I've ever been to.
You didn't really expect simple "yes/no" answers, did you?

As for a serious reply:
Of course there's always the possibility that someone gets multiple accounts or gives a 1 to a good game just because it is a "direct opponent" of his/her favourite game.
But e.g. Agricola clocks in at 5434 ratings, so I don't think an attempt to seriously manipulate this rating would be / have been worth the effort.

And being the one on top of the votes doesn't necessarily mean you're the best. Otherwise democracy would work ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
The point is, that talking about the ratings often is considered beating a dead horse. You also had the bad luck, that you deleted remark about Agricola was quoted - and most users are a bit tired about the Agricola #1 debate. The ratings are interesting but not important - and Agricol is #1 because people actualy like it.
Also, the rank-calculation is supposed to eliminate fake very high and very low ratings. Naturaly the admins do not disclose any details about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Struijf
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:

Please point me to the reply that you considered "attacking you".
These are, apart from a few exceptions, the most polite forums I've ever been to.

I totally, utterly agree with this statement. I have not been to any nicer, gentler forum community before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I just hope that Dominion doesn't catch Tigris & Euphrates. Of course if it were up to me Hex would be number one, and Stephenson's Rocket and Arkadia would be top ten. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:

Don't do that. Why should other people's opinion of a game cause you to change your rating lower than you think the game's rating should be? Giving an artificially low rating to try to make the average combined rating be closer to what you think the rating "should" be is silly.

Just rate games according to what you think they should be, and accept that not everyone agrees with you: that's why there are combined ratings, instead of the site using only your personal ratings for the general top 100 list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it's manipulated, but i do think that when you get a large amount of people using a vote system, that it isn't always accurate.

Often people will give a bunch of things a 1 out of 10, purely because they don't like it, not because they absolutely hate it, and the game has many flaws, but because they don't like it themselves. So they're giving too much weight to their dislike, if you catch my drift.

If I play a game like say Puerto Rico, and I don't find it interesting or engaging for me, or it's not my type of game. Do i give it a 2 or a 3? or do i give it a 7 or 8, because I know it does things well in it's mechanics and has merit and others would like it.

So you'll never get a true ranking, but it's the closest we have. So just use it as a guide line, and not as an etched in stone product. I figure the top 10 are all tied, the next 10 are all tied, and go from there =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
But some are more tied than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:

So you cry foul that the number are being manipulated, then you do this. Pot meet Kettle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chipwizard wrote:
I'd like to ask your opinion about the game ranking: is it manipulated or not?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...

Life could be worse... Obama could put Hillary in his administration somewhere. So don't sweat the small stuff.

... what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chip,

Welcome to the forums - don't take any of the comments personally. Some months ago there was a big debate about whether Agricola's rating was manipulated - i think the conclusion was that it was not and with 5,000+ ratings now it almost assuredly is not. Anyway, take the ratings with a pinch of salt - it's all about personal preferences and the joy of the 'geek is that we have such broad and diverse game tastes in such a friendly community.

Cheers

Sorp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Power Grid and Twilight Struggle are waaay too high...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Agricola so I can't like or dislike it.
Could be a good, objective point to start with...

I suppose the ratings aren't manipulated given the large amount of voters. But a game raising that high that fast... It's just not natural.
And that probably indicates the commercial engine behind the game is of an absolute superior quality. The idea of giving people ways to pimp their games proved to be very affective... People fell for it.
Sounds more realistic than manipulated ratings to me...
But I do understand why Chip asked his question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I tell you what. You go and rate Agricola whatever you want... or any other game whatever you want. Everyone else is doing exactly the same thing. We'd like you to try to be fair and honest, but do whatever you like. Detailed statistical analysis has shown that people artificially rating a game high or low has little or no effect on the overall rating.

Here's the real issue. The thing that people like MrSkeletor can't bear to hear - and apparently you can't either;

You didn't like these games at the top, but lots of other people do. Sorry to hear you didn't like them. Hope you find something you do like. But lots of people like these games a lot. That's why they have a high rating.

I guess it's just hard for some people to learn that other people might have different tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
I guess it's just hard for some people to learn that other people might have different tastes.

Hey, I love the Munchkin series, but apparently thats a viled and disgusting game here, and not only that, yes, i WILL play monopoly if people wish to. I have no objection. It would not be my first choice, but I wouldn't crawl into the fetus position, suck my thumb and wish for the pain to go away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
chipwizard wrote:

So you cry foul that the number are being manipulated, then you do this. Pot meet Kettle.

Apparently you cannot say this phrase anymore, as it is racist. At least thats what Omarosa felt on the Apprentice.

I know, I should be punched once for bringing up the Apprentice, and 100 times for bringing up Omarosa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the main ratings, ignore them entirely!

What you can do instead is to look for people that share your tastes, by using the super-duper correlation tool, and then add them to your geekbuddy list. Then, you can just ignore the normal ratings, and see what your geekbuddies think about the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
hibikir wrote:
If you don't like the main ratings, ignore them entirely!

What you can do instead is to look for people that share your tastes, by using the super-duper correlation tool, and then add them to your geekbuddy list. Then, you can just ignore the normal ratings, and see what your geekbuddies think about the games.

This is what I was going to say. I don't look at overall ratings anymore -- I just look at what my Geekbuddies say (the full comments and not just the number).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.