Subject: Japan Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Map:RailroadTycoon [+] Map:RailroadTycoon:Japan [+] [View All]
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I have just posted a two player Japan variant. The map is smaller and there are fewer cities. I have included variant operations cards.

www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo/37183

The only special rules required are:
Remove the Tycoon cards that are related to the US board. Deal out two of the remaining to each player and each player chooses the one they want to use.
Crossing between islands costs 4000 (like a ridge). These are the blue areas.
Remove the Immediate Effect cards from the Op cards when you deal out the starting cards. Once the game starts shuffle the Immediate Effect cards into the deck of Ops cards. If one of these is turned up at the start of the turn place it on top of the deck (to remind you it is in play) and apply it's effects. At the start of next turn remove it and turn up a new Ops cards as usual. If a player needs to issue shares to comply with a card (e.g. Kobe Earthquake) they can do this at the start of the turn.
There is no Western Link.

I tried to make it quite competetive between two players with a bit more cube stealing and blocking. In the first game my wife built two links between Tokyo and Shizuoka that resulted in me having to build a 20K link through the mountains to get the Tokyo Fukuoka line bonus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how many cities do you play until?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
The normal amount from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon played this map for the first time tonight. i dunno how many cities is normal, i could look up the manual but it's kinda late now, so we just played until 14 which seemed like to many.

questions about a few of the cards.

Engineering marvel: is this a pickup and play on another turn card?

tokyo ryokan : it this basically a hotel card? because this was the first card to come up we played it as an event card and that it lasted that one turn. actually just went through the deck and theres another one, so i assume they are hotels.

last question, i'm assuming other then the bridges spanning the islands there are no water hexes. i'm assuming this based on that most hexes that are not mountains have ocean in them.

Thank you Jon, even with this queries it was a fun and tight game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon, can i clarify the island hopping cost.

Is it like a ridge, so 2 for the plains +4000 for the water crossing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Glad you liked it.

A ryokan is a type of Japanese hotel (kind of like a cross between a B&B and up market inn) so yes it is identical to a hotel in the base game.

The only water hexes are the island crossings.

I think from memory the 2 player game should end at 10 cities - 14 sounds like too many anyway.

The Engineering Marvel is a pick up and play later type card. It's kind of like the Government Land Grant in the base game but helps you get through the mountains and ridges at less cost (since there are so few plains it seemed like a waste of time to have the GLG)

The island hoping cost is +4000 so 2000 per hex for plains plus 4000 for the bridge. The 4000 is only paid once for the crossing so not on each hex.

Any feedback or things you would change? What did you think of the Event Cards? Were they a tweak too far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didnt' play with any bonus/tycoon cards.

I enjoyed the map. Luke didn't, but Luke doesn't like in your face maps. by that i mean i was up in his business the whole game.

Luke wasn't a fan of Australia the first time we played either, so i'm eagerly awaiting some more plays on the japan map.

Can't think of anything i'd tweak at this stage. The events were fine, although they always happened to hamper me more than Luke.

Actually Jon what about the card that doubles your income that turn, whats your experience with that? because after that popped up, we were never short of money again. but it could be that it popped up when we were both around $25 on the scoreboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Ahh, that would be a problem with the clarity of my wording. I presume you are refering to the card that doubles dividend payments. Dividends are the $1000 you pay per share - so that card actually doubles the amount you pay on your shares at the end of the turn (not the income you get).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh snap, i totally would have won the game wow yeah i didn't even think of that, but know you've meantioned it. totally makes sense modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls