Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, I'm back asking for help.

What would you folks consider to be 'must have' games covering these two classic battles? I'm interested in playablitiy and 'fun' over complexity and accuracy. That said - I'm more on the ASL end of the spectrum than the Axis and Allies end. I'd consider The Russian Campaign to be about the best mix - if that helps.

I mostly play (or played) hex and counter, but I'm open to considering other types. The games should work fairly well solitare, but I'm still hoping to find something (other than Warhammer 40K) that my kids will play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
For Waterloo, one game continues to stand the test of time - SPI's Napoleon's Last Battles. If I had to have one Waterloo game, that is it.

As to Gettysburg....I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
For Waterloo, one game continues to stand the test of time - SPI's Napoleon's Last Battles. If I had to have one Waterloo game, that is it.

As to Gettysburg....I don't know.

I can only second all that.

I suspect there's some great Gettysburg game out there that I don't know about. But I'm not very impressed with the games I do know about. So I'll have to just keep quiet on that.

But NLB did impress me quite a bit. I haven't seen or played it in years, yet I remember it as one of the best wargames ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg: High Tide of the Confederacy

The Thin Red Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg:

War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863 Division level game using area movement. The advantage of this system is that there are also Napoleonic games available, though sadly, not Waterloo. Here's a link to a two-page summary of play: http://www.avalanchepress.com/pdf/WarEmpiresQuickPlay.pdf

Yankees & Rebels A bit of a Euro-Wargame hybrid, but very interesting to play. The map is two-sided: Gettysburg on one side and blank on the other. Terrain tiles a la Memoir '44 are included so that you can do other battles as well. Rules are online. http://giogames.it/Y&Renglish.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm interested in playablitiy and 'fun' over complexity and accuracy.

In that case I think you have to try Waterloo 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Cole
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
There's one in development similar to the Bonaparte at Marengo / Napoleon's Triumph games:

The Guns of Gettysburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of the Talonsoft Gettysburg game for the computer but for board games the only one that comes close is Terrible Swift Sword. This is my absolute favorite wargame but it takes a lot of time and takes up a lot of space so it may not be right for you. It also helps if you have a friend that's conversant with the rules. There are several smaller, shorter games portraying other civil war battles using the same rules set that are useful in learning the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:

I'll second that, although I actually prefer the old AH edition. Can't see how a block game will work very well for solitaire play, though.

For Gettysburg, I'm not sure I can help much there either. You can get Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition), which has the advantage of taking only an hour or two to play. A lot of people will tell you that it's "unrealistic", which you tend to hear about a lot of games that people actually play. Having said that, I do recommend adding in some of the optional rules.

I also remember enjoying the Gettysburg scenario in Across 5 Aprils, which is has 4 other nice scenarios included. A very playable system and a worthwhile package to own in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll second that, although I actually prefer the old AH edition. Can't see how a block game will work very well for solitaire play, though.

Some work better than others. I found this one did okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Waciuk
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Drokk!
badge
Get ready. Justice is coming. Judge Dredd: Mega-City One.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles of Napoleon: The Eagle and the Lion

While not specifically about Waterloo, this game might interest your kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Three Days of Gettysburg is my favorite game on that battle, but you may want to check out Thunder at the Crossroads by The Gamers (brigade-level, but your enjoyment of the game will probably depend on how you feel about the written orders command system) and Gettysburg by West End Game, part of the well-received South Mountain game system (but, I believe, is only available as part of the War of the Rebellion set, which also includes the battles of Chickamauga, South Mountain and Shiloh).

For Waterloo, my favorite is the old SPI game Wellington's Victory, but it's a monster game. I recommend GMT's Battles of Waterloo or the La Bataille series from Clash of Arms that deal with the battle (Ligny, Quatre Bras and Mount St. Jean).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
milgate wrote:
The Three Days of Gettysburg is my favorite game on that battle, but you may want to check out Thunder at the Crossroads by The Gamers (brigade-level, but your enjoyment of the game will probably depend on how you feel about the written orders command system) and Gettysburg by West End Game, part of the well-received South Mountain game system (but, I believe, is only available as part of the War of the Rebellion set, which also includes the battles of Chickamauga, South Mountain and Shiloh).

For Waterloo, my favorite is the old SPI game Wellington's Victory, but it's a monster game. I recommend GMT's Battles of Waterloo or the La Bataille series from Clash of Arms that deal with the battle (Ligny, Quatre Bras and Mount St. Jean).

Grog level stuff, especially the last and first listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg: Badges of Courage from Columbia Games.

A block game that I regularly play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of all the games I own(Napoleonics), the only one that stands out as having been played quite a bit is 'Napoleon at Waterloo' - the old game that came as an introductory freebee when you subscribed to S&T - lo these many years ago. I have a bunch of others, I'll have to go look and see which ones. We played 'La Grande Armee' alot too, but that's a horse of a different colour. We played the ancient AH Waterloo, too... but I wouldn't call that an 'essential' game by any means.

Of all the Civil War games I have, only 'A House Divided' got alot of play. I remember messing around with the new version of 'Gettysburg'(AH) that came out in '75-'77 or so, but it didn't catch my interest. I also messed about with 'The Civil War' from VG 1983, but that was in my 'mostly just reading rules' days - after college. I honestly can't think of a single game, covering a single battle, from the Civil War era that I really liked. Is there a four game set from SPI, I think I might have that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg
If you are closer to ASL than A&A then you need to get Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For an easy to learn/quick to play game that would do well for kids with relatively little wargaming experience, VPG's "Waterloo-20" is pretty much perfect. It's also very solo-friendly.

VPG doesn't have a "Gettysburg-20" game out... yet (we're working on it, be patient).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Johnson
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal favorites are Terrible Swift Sword(SPI) for Gettysburg, and Wellington's Victory: Battle of Waterloo Game – June 18th, 1815 (SPI/TSR) for Waterloo. Both are "monster games", but (IMO) are well worth the investment in time and available gaming space to play through the campaign games (and some of the smaller scenarios as well) It helps that there are some mechanical similarities between the two should you decide on tracking down these particular titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like David earlier on, I would recommend AH's Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) and Victory Games' Across 5 Aprils as simple and fun games.

Alternatively, for an operational rather than tactical view of Gettysburg, try Roads to Gettysburg from AH's Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recomendation for Wellington's Victory: Battle of Waterloo Game – June 18th, 1815. A good game to learn the system if you can find it is Ney vs. Wellington. It's a lot smaller but makes the learning curve much shallower than if you dove right into WV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.