Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a dream that I was demo’ing a game that I had created. This is particularly strange as I
- 1) Almost NEVER recall my dreams
– 2) Have NO interest in the subject matter
- 3) Have NO inclination to be a game designer. Nothing against game designers, mind you. I hold them in the same divine awe that I reserve for artists, novelists, knitters, or ANY creative person.

I digress. Onward to the game! It was called: Stocks & Commodities. In looking back, I do not recall any stock function. The premise is simple: Buy low; sell high.

The board was rather big. On the outside ring were rectangles about the size of a smallish game card. Each box represented 1 year. They started in 1920 & concluded in 1960. These served a dual purpose. They held event cards. There would be 6 that could be drawn in a year. One would be chosen; the rest were discarded. Thus they also served as turn marker/indicators.

The events could reflect or change actual world events. For instance, a 1939 card might say, “Germany accepts Brit/Franco ultimatum & does not invade Poland. World tension -5”. Or “Famine in West US. Food +200” Or “Plastic invented/marketed. Steel -100”. You get the idea, I’m sure. One card would read, “Discard & redraw TWO events for this year.”

The inner board tracked the prices of the various stocks/commodities like food, coal, medicine, steel, munitions (reminds me of the computer game, Sid Meier’s Railroad). Each started out at “$1000” & went up & down in $100 increments. Ownership was denoted by holding cards (like Settlers of Catan resource cards). Each card represented 1 unit (an unfortunately abstract term) of the item.

For some reason, there was a map of the world in the very middle of the board. It looked like a Risk map, i.e. the areas were abstracts (Ugh, there’s that term again!)

So, did I unconsciously mimic something I may have seen? Do I have something here? If I do, then consider it Public Domain if you’d like to develop the idea. I just wanted to record it here before I forget any more. Thanks to you still reading this at this point…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a bit detailed for a dream....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
This sounds a bit detailed for a dream....

Yeah, well, that's me. I prefer the term "detail oriented". The wife says I'm OCD. My co-workers use yet another term...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very cool vision. Hopefully it helps someone already designing a related game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is did anybody buy your game in the dream. If not, then maybe it's not worth developing. laugh
Just kidding. Interesting dream. This doesn't sound like any game I know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to hijack your thread into a discussion about the detail level of dreams, but I don't think this is at all out of the ordinary of dreams. I've had some particularly detailed dreams, one recently about apartment hunting, and the next day I was able to accurately draw out the plan of the apartment, could tell you about the color of the walls, style of molding and framing around the doors and windows, the architecture of the outside of the building, the appliances and surfaces in the kitchen, and the view out the window above the kitchen sink. I am not an architect, interior designer, or anything like that-- I am a computer programmer, nor have ever been particularly interested in anything having to do with it. My sister remembers every number in every dream-- street addresses, flight numbers, prices, etc., and often can't remember the "plot".

Another phenomenon that I'm particularly fond of and prone to is how the brain can "fill in" details after you wake up. (After all, they say you only ever remember dreams when you wake up during REM sleep.) Often, I feel like I'm still dreaming while I'm showering and I can feel my brain filling in the details that I didn't remember upon waking. I know I'm not trying to be creative and make stuff up myself (too tired) these additional details just come to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an e-mail I got. Thought I'd share the response...

Quote:
Your dream sounded really cool, i could visualize the board really nicely. I'm not sure how someone would win though. Does everyone start with the same number of stocks/commodities or where they drawn on each turn? If they were drawn, was it random? or some sort of dice roll like Catan that said "you may draw a coal this turn cause you rolled a 4?" Probably too many details to ask right?? Overall i think it sounded cool.

Oh, I'm guessing everyone would start out with "x" amount in $ (like *pinky near mouth* One Mil-lion dollars). They could buy as much of whatever they wanted each turn AFTER the Random Events. No rolling for resources like Catan. In fact, I'm thinking there'd be NO need for dice whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.