Subject: New supplement for Catan? Anyone know? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristi Belmonte
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is anyone familiar with the Random Events and Treachery published by DDC Games that is for sale on Ebay? It sounds like it has been around, or used to be available. Here is the link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekbay.php?action=viewebay&auction...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't know them, looked it up and came to this

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/17602

greetings

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say, this one's completely new to me. It certainly lacks the same "atmosphere" that other catan add-ons have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi Belmonte
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I gotta say, this one's completely new to me. It certainly lacks the same "atmosphere" that other catan add-ons have.

I read the link in the post above that seems to think differently. It says this:

The expansions themselves are quite fun and interesting. Very creative. I can only speak for the two I bought, but they add nice new dimensions to the game. If you're a touch weary of the game as-is (or ever thought a road-blocking oppenent was quite fortunate you couldn't attack them), one or more of these sets may help liven things up. They add concepts and ideas not present in the base game, and they're easy to integrate. More options of course means more strategy, which to me is a good thing.

Combat seems to be a pretty good system, if not a bit on the simple side (haven't actually tried it yet). Then again, you wouldn't expect to add multiple rolls of two d10 to a Settlers game. The system uses matrices for single-army and multiple-army attacks vs. other armies, vs. cities, or vs. settlements, with die rolls determining outcomes. Results can be destruction of an army or a settlement, disbanding of an army, etc.

Random events are great too, it's now more exciting to roll a 7 (which triggers two die rolls to get the result from the events chart). Really livens up the game, there are such events as mine collapses, dust storms (turn someone's resource tile into another desert), worker strikes, native raids, bumper crops, road discovery, fires, rats, port closures, and much more. Both bad and good events can happen to the roller or to everyone. Let me tell you, those die rolls can be pretty intense. Obviously being random, they can help anyone or hurt anyone at any given time, they won't give the loser help any more often than the game leader gets it. Still fun though. And there's more to each expansion that I won't even go into here.

I would love to hear from someone else that has some info on these supplements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.