Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought I say this, but the more I see Fantasy Flight's Cosmic Encounter,the more I think FFG "Gets It". A base set w/ 50 powers, Eon style flares, plays 5 'out of the box' is a pretty solid game. I assume the expansion (hey, if it doesn't have an expansion, then it's not Cosmic, right?) would add 50+ powers, a 6th player and the moons/lucre/reverse hexes etc.

So for a cost of $50 or so (and likely the same for the expansion), you get all that is good about Cosmic Encounter plus the over the top/way cool production values that FFG brings to the table.

Which means-my lovingly assembled complete set of Eon CE may, just may be up for grabs. Besides all expansions, complete, it has ALL the colors/tokens sets (8 total as expansions 1 and 2 were released with 2 different colors each) and hexes (e.g. I can play 8 if I so chose-albeit 3 of the Gold tokens are well-made replacements-but again, this is a 'more than complete' version of CE).

So, obviously the reissue deflates the value and I assume most of whom want Eon CE already have it. That said, there is the nostalgia value, especially for the minimalist simplicity of the hexes/tokens/discs and the iconic Alien power art. I still prefer Eon art over the FFG edition, but unlike Mayfair I can live w/ FFG's take on the Aliens.

Aside from value, there is the question of how to sell it (if i so chose). Obviously, selling the whole enchilada would be nice, but I don't think the $800-1000 minimums/buy it nows on eBay are realistice. I'd consider $350 to $500 (my tentative 'buy it now' price) as more like it. Then there is the question of 'logical units' e.g. base + expansions 1-4 would be a very playable 'game system' with the 5-9 expansions nice add ons. So to help combat my Analysis Paralysis, a poll:

Poll
How should a "complete plus" Eon Cosmic Encounter be sold:
The whole enchilada (base + all expansions/tokens)
Base + Expansions 1-4, expansions 5-9 seperately
Base, all expansions seperately
What? Dude, are you crazy, it's an Eon set!
      24 answers
Poll created by davido

Feel free to comment w/ valuations, if any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite simply, you'll get more bang for your buck if you sell each piece separately. If you don't mind having 10 auctions running at the same time (and 10 sets of fees if you're going the eBay route), then it's the way to go.

But do be careful. The bottom has fallen out on prices for CE. Mayfair editions are now going for under $100, when they were going for over $200 a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I noticed-a recent completed sale had Base + 4 + 8 (e.g. base + both flare decks) going for $90 when a year ago, they would be about $30, 50, 75+ respectively.

As we know, the Geek tends to 'buy low' compared to eBay, but I have a zilch seller rating (never auctioned/sold anything), so THAT will deflate my bids.

Then there are the head games:
If I put a low (say $1) opener, hopefully the 'frenzy' will bid it up, but I'd get really bent out of shape if any of these sold for a buck or a low amount.

OTOH, a high minimum might discourage bids, but at least it wouldn't go for less than I want. It's Captain Indecisive, or is it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, depending on the condition of everything, I might be interested. Drop me a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in expansion #3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you could get some good money for it, (My friend paid upwards of $400 for the entire set of NEW items) I don't think you should sell it.

Reasons:

1) EON did it right.

2) Everyone else was 2nd best (AH didn't finish at all!!)

3) It's pretty hard to replace. This is the biggest reason not to sell. IF it were readily available, some may argue it is, then it's an easy sell.

My advice it to wait for the FFG set. Compare it to that new set and make your decision then. I have pretty much every edition of CE (-AH version) and am still interested in the FFG version. This type of game seems to fit their style of game production. (ONLY if the artwork could be as excellent as EON's)

This way you will know of what to expect in an expansion (I'd email FFG to get their first impressions of this). Wait to see the product before selling the FARM.

Again, you'll only get $300-$500 max for it. Not really worth the loss of gaming history!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
So I noticed-a recent completed sale had Base + 4 + 8 (e.g. base + both flare decks) going for $90 when a year ago, they would be about $30, 50, 75+ respectively.

As we know, the Geek tends to 'buy low' compared to eBay, but I have a zilch seller rating (never auctioned/sold anything), so THAT will deflate my bids.

Then there are the head games:
If I put a low (say $1) opener, hopefully the 'frenzy' will bid it up, but I'd get really bent out of shape if any of these sold for a buck or a low amount.

OTOH, a high minimum might discourage bids, but at least it wouldn't go for less than I want. It's Captain Indecisive, or is it

A minimum opening bid of $1 has a ZERO chance of selling for a $1. The first 3 replies to this thread would EASILY bid it up to $100 guaranteed. Plus, when you see the pigs flying over a frozen hell, then get your buddy to bid it up for you. Illegal YES, but so is jaywalking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

A minimum opening bid of $1 has a ZERO chance of selling for a $1. The first 3 replies to this thread would EASILY bid it up to $100 guaranteed. Plus, when you see the pigs flying over a frozen hell, then get your buddy to bid it up for you. Illegal YES, but so is jaywalking.

Oh, I won't say Zero chance (I've got a few deals at a buck or a few bucks)...
Things to be careful when you list on ebay or any auction sites
or
Things to look for to get a good deal on auction sites

1>When listing MAKE SURE OF YOUR SPELLING, especially in the title. I often find misspelled items sells for very low compare to items that people can actually find. I do search using common mistakes in the spelling of items I am looking for to find deals.

2>Don't end the auction in the middle of the night. Those are usually the one with the lower ending prices. Most bidders are asleep. Most items are good for ending during the work day. Lots of bidding happens when people are working. Weekends are good for collectibles & toys. Also, most bids will came in at the last hour of the auction. Just put your bid in late, more then likely no one else is going to place a bid at the last minute if it ends in the wee early hours.

3>Pictures - Its worth a thousand words, or 30+% more in final bids prices. Add a picture of your item for auction. You can use a webcam to take it if you don't have a digital camera. I sometimes skip bidding on auction I can not be sure off that does not have a picture.

4>Post your terms of sales clearly - people are more likely to bid-up when they know what to expect from you. Most people are too lazy to sent you an email to ask...

5>List shipping fee or used shipping calculator in auction. Again, so people can see how much they are paying for shipping (and not being ripped off).

Good luck,
-David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.