BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: POLL: Best Adventure (not Dungeon Crawl) Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could only have two of these games, which would you choose? (If you don't need two, feel free to pick just one.)

And of course you're invited to post and say why you like the game(s) you pick!

Edit: I've drawn the choices from this GeekList, which distinguishes Adventure Games from Dungeon Crawls (that's why games like Descent are not among the choices):
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21379

Poll
If you could only have one or two of the following games, which would you pick? (Please vote for no more than two.)
Talisman
Runebound
Prophecy
World of Warcraft
Return of the Heroes
Magic Realm
Arkham Horror
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Other:___________________ (post and specify)
      129 answers
Poll created by Patrick Carroll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: POLL: Best Adventure Game
Other: Fury of Dracula. I know it is supposed to be a "deduction" game, but it is essentially an adventure game with deduction and a real opponent rather than competing against the board. Having someone play Dracula and 2-4 others play hunters is one of the most interesting adventure boardgames I have played. It has all the elements: events, foes to defeat, items, and combat with Dracula and the minions he leaves behind. Having to hunt him down is a much more interesting goal than racing to an arbitrary level in order to defeat a big boss after you become powerful enough. In Fury of Dracula, there are more choices to the combat through items you pick up rather than "leveling" your character, which is why it is a true adventure game rather than a light RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot Descent. That is why I voted "other."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "Other" and my write-in is "Descent".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Descent.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think of dungeon crawlers (e.g. Descent) as being in a separate category from "adventure" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Lin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another vote for descent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still yet another vote for Descent in the category of "Other"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: Wiz War. Yes, yes, I know most people don't think of it as an adventure game, but I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't care for any of the ones posted. Under the category "adventure" on the geek I would choose:

Shadows Over Camelot and Pirate's Cove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for discussion on this or similar topics, but isn't a poll sort of meaningless? Why not just check BGG's rankings and pick the two highest ranked? There: you've just polled everybody.

I suppose if you were interested to know the top adventure games as chosen by the self-selected group of People Who Like Adventure Games And Polls this is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rauscher
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My "Other" is Warhammer Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
I'm all for discussion on this or similar topics, but isn't a poll sort of meaningless? Why not just check BGG's rankings and pick the two highest ranked? There: you've just polled everybody.

blush Yeah, guess you're right. I started with the GeekList and wondered how highly people thought of some of those games over others. Next thing I thought of was asking, and a poll seemed like a good thing to include in the asking.

I guess I was hoping the poll would generate some discussion about the games in question. Ratings are just ratings, but this thread is a chance for people to say why they like one game more than another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
rootbeer wrote:

blush Yeah, guess you're right. I started with the GeekList and wondered how highly people thought of some of those games over others. Next thing I thought of was asking, and a poll seemed like a good thing to include in the asking.

I guess I was hoping the poll would generate some discussion about the games in question. Ratings are just ratings, but this thread is a chance for people to say why they like one game more than another.

It wasn't that the poll was meaningless.

To ask the question, which two of the games would you have if you could only have two, is different then just looking at the rankings. You are looking for different information/results based on a different criteria then simple BGG rankings.

If you had asked, which of these games is the best, then you could just use rankings.

I don't rank games based on the idea that I could only have two of a certain game. Besides, in many cases if if I was foced to only choose two games I may not select my highest ranking games for practical reasons.

So, your poll is fair enough. I guess I didn't understand what you were hoping to figure out based on the poll or why you selected the games you did.

No worries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My "other" is Descent (duhhh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
My other is Campaign Trail. That's as much of an "adventure" as I'd like to get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Other is descent, and if that's invalid, then i'd go for Arkham Horror too (My first vote was Runebound).

Although World Of Warcraft: The Adventure Game is better than most of the options (Magic Realm, Talisman and Return Of The Heroes all suck for various different reasons)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I voted 'Other' For Descent.

Ha! Though Descent: Road to Legend could be considered some sort of Adventure game, that's specifically NOT what the OP was asking for- can't you people read?

My Other vote goes to Tales of the Arabian Nights, or as a sci-fi alternative the Star Trek: The Adventure Game, which was based on the same system but plays with only 2 and actually has some sort of game built in. The system really gives you a sense of going on an adenture, not just rolling dice and killing monsters.

Another weird kind of vote would be for Dicemaster: Cities of Doom. It's really a neat resource-management game (make by the guy who did the abstract GIPF series!), but if you use your imagination just a little you can get into the spirit of the thing and have a rousing fantasy adventure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Morley
United States
Rainier
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: Runebound with the Sands of Al-Kalim expansion. The base game doesn't quite make it for me without the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
@Other is descent, and if that's invalid, then i'd go for Arkham Horror too (My first vote was Runebound).

Although World Of Warcraft: The Adventure Game is better than most of the options (Magic Realm, Talisman and Return Of The Heroes all suck for various different reasons)

I'd kinda like to hear those reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.