California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted Thought Hammer and it seems they won't be stocking the upgrade kit. I guess they never sold the 1st edition and were under the impression it was only sold in Europe so they won't be offering it.

So, anyone find an online seller that will be distributing the upgrade kit with The Big Expansion? If so they will get my business!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And my business too! Seeing as I can't find a UK seller that has the update kit (or the expansion, but that's another story...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my at my local FLGS, The Compleat Strategist. They have no idea about the upgrade kit. Looks like we have to either find a retailer that will carry it or fork out the cash for the 2nd addition. That really bites!!!!yukyukyuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any other important difference besides card size? If it's just the card sizes, then buying some solid-backed card sleeves would do the trick for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also heard that the tile and tile finish are slightly different making it easy to pick out tiles that you might think are more advantageous. I guess the issue is that I spend nearly $80 on a game that now does not work completely with the expansion. The compatibility pack was offered at Essen and I guess we are trying to see how we can get it here on this side of the pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
I have also heard that the tile and tile finish are slightly different making it easy to pick out tiles that you might think are more advantageous. I guess the issue is that I spend nearly $80 on a game that now does not work completely with the expansion.

Ah, I didn't realize the tiles were different too, that makes for a much bigger difference.

It sounds like any store -should- be able to get them from their distributor though... if all the stores refuse to get it, it's hard to blame the publisher. I'm sure if enough people bug Thought Hammer, they'll get it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Funguy wrote:
I have also heard that the tile and tile finish are slightly different making it easy to pick out tiles that you might think are more advantageous. I guess the issue is that I spend nearly $80 on a game that now does not work completely with the expansion.

Ah, I didn't realize the tiles were different too, that makes for a much bigger difference.

It sounds like any store -should- be able to get them from their distributor though... if all the stores refuse to get it, it's hard to blame the publisher. I'm sure if enough people bug Thought Hammer, they'll get it in.

I don't think it's to their advantage to get it in. They have to pay extra shipping and supports a version they never stocked. Besides I bet they are hoping people will give up and buy the original game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. They can charge the shipping cost that they pay to the customer, and this will help them sell expansions. I wouldn't buy an expansion from them if I had to get my upgrade kit from somewhere else.

Of course, the proof-of-purchase requirement makes getting the kit from an online source difficult anyways... it would be much easier to get it from a local store where you don't have to mail anything out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree James that not offering the upgrade kit will lose sales for them. Like me for instance!

I did just email Funagain about the kit. I originally bought my copy from them in the first place so they don't have any excuse about not offering it because they never stocked it.

We'll see what they say and I'll report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Pavone
United Kingdom
Chippenham
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Felkor wrote:

Most of the stores I've spoken to have no idea how to get the upgrade kit. They're under the impression that I should be contacting the Publishers directly to get the kit whereas the publisher has (in another thread) stated that they will not be distributing the kit themselves and that we should get the kit from stores when it eventually shows up (of course, no timescales have been announced).

Meanwhile, the only UK distributor for CGE games (Esdevium) is remaining silent on the matter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back from Funagain.

They DON'T have the upgrade kit and never heard of it. In fact they didn't even know there was a compatibility problem!

So that's two online stores that didn't know about, don't have it, don't have plans to get it.

I told the person that emailed me to check with the publisher about getting copies since 1st edition owners like myself can't order this until we find the upgrade kit first.

Bummer! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I heard back from Funagain. They DON'T have the upgrade kit and never heard of it.

Well, they don't have the expansion either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased my first print run copy from Boards & Bits. I have contacted them to see if they plan to carry the expansion and/or the compatibility kits. I will report back their response on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back again from Funagain. Not only will they not be stocking the upgrade kits but they WON'T be stocking the Czech Games Edition version. Only the Rio Grande version (whenever that comes out).

So looks like Thought Hammer and Funagain are bust on upgrade kits. And Funagain may not have the expansion for months depending on timing with Rio Grande.

Let's hope Boards & Bits has good news, they might be our only hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom at Boards & Bits said they are swamped right now (holidays), but was glad I made him aware of the Compatibility Kits, and he would look into it as soon as he can. Since I (and many others) bought the CGE edition from them, hopefully they will do right by their customers and get some of the Kits to make available with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps when everyone gets this in stock it will just come with a bunch of conversion kits for them to distribute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Riekkinen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zeromus wrote:
Perhaps when everyone gets this in stock it will just come with a bunch of conversion kits for them to distribute?
Im betting we are not that lucky. If It was that simple we would have heard word about it by now. The silence from publisher is worrying as are the reports of stores not beeing abelto get the kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Tom at Boards & Bits said they are swamped right now (holidays), but was glad I made him aware of the Compatibility Kits, and he would look into it as soon as he can. Since I (and many others) bought the CGE edition from them, hopefully they will do right by their customers and get some of the Kits to make available with the expansion.

I have said it before and will say so again, Tom is the man. I have geat faith that he will take good care of us; I too bought my 1st ed. Trucker from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from him as well. If anyone can help us out, he can!

He does so much "above and beyond work" I wonder how he gets any other work done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.