Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some general advice on how to win this game?

One common tip seems to be to funnel weak ghosts toward the corners and tough ones to the center.

How about others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Choose your abilities, don't take them random for the first games. There are player colors where they differ massively in power.

- Don't underestimate the power of the Buddhas. Especially if you are the blue player and can use the villager ability twice, get both Buddhas asap. After all, this means 2 dead ghosts without any risk, and you can directly get rid of the nasty ones.

- Next, the blue player gets 4 tao tokens, then he goes to the corners where he should be able to kill 2 ghosts most of the time (since the easy ones are in the corners, he can fight twice and he has lots of tao tokens).

- Don't stick to much to your Qui or Ying/Yang markers. They are there to be used. You can get them back later. And not to forget: Only one player has to survive in the end. If you are afraid to die for the greater good, the game gets a lot harder.

Maybe I can think of some more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Qi is a resource to be spent. Use it liberally to kill ghosts with the associated villager. Don't be shy in using the +1 tao +1 qi +1 ghost space either. Cycling through the ghost deck is absolutely something you want to do to get to the Wu Feng faster. Once the Wu Feng spirit is out you can ignore all the other ghosts and focus your efforts on killing him.

Use the Wind villager in conjunction with a Buddha to insta-kill troublesome ghosts. Also, don't assume that the best use of moving another player is to put someone in the center. You can sometimes use it to move someone with a plethora of tao into a corner where the next player can join in to share the tokens in a fight immediately.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions, keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best starting combination of Taoist abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 8th game, i finally won the game! (in a 2p game)... With my experience i would say that:

- GOLDEN RULE: never try to exorcise if you need 2 or more dices to be successful. The odds of success are low in those situations and you'll lose turns doing NOTHING, when you could have done something productive for future turns. Pick up goodies instead, like Power tokens (2-3p game), buddhas, tao's, change Tao color in the Circle village, etc, and then go exorcise when you only need 1 dice to beat it. Be well prepared and don't rely much on the luck of the dice!

- Don't rush your decisions, sometimes the best play is not apparent. Consider all options.

- When you start the game, try to pick up some Tao's or buddhas. If some easy ghosts appear as the first ones, and particularly if they're HAUNTERS, exorcise them if you have good chances (only need 1 die).

- If you have power tokens or buddhas, don't hesitate to use them.

- Put ghosts with 1 or 2 resistance in corners so that you can try to exorcise both or at least be successful with one of them. Put the strongest ones in the center positions.

- Save Yin-Yang's to activate haunted tile's, or if the game is at risk, to activate a tile that you really need so you don't lose the game right away.

- Pick up Tao of the same colors. Having 1 of each color doesn't help much against 3-4 resistance ghosts. So specialize in 1-2 colors.

- Give priority to HAUNTER ghosts, those are the most dangerous ones. Try to kill them first and then the others. Study their cycles and attack the ones about to haunt. If more than 2 ready to haunt in their next turn, use the proper village tile to send them back to the card.

- Green taoist: choose the 4 dice and no-curse die option. The TORMENTOR ghosts will be harmless in your board. If they go to other boards, move them to yours if possible. Also, you should exorcise the ghosts with the curse die as it's exit action (right stone on the card) so that you don't have to roll it.

- In 2-3p games, use power tokens to make use of yellow taoist ability to get a tao marker. Also pick them up at pairs in center tile if a 2p game, even better if the buddhas are in the center tile also to be picked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

There is a thread with a poll which of the abilities people prefer. I mildly disagree with 2 of the results there:

I think for blue the double action / double exorcism is better because of ther strength of taking 2 Buddhas / 4 tao markers in one turn and then fighting 2 ghosts on the corners in one turn.

For green, the extra die and no curse die seems better, since you can then use the villager power to send tormentors to the green board where they do no harm.

For red, the ability to move other players seems clearly better than the ability to fly yourself. The reasons are stated in the poll thread.

Yellow should take one tao marker each round. That makes him a good fighter and a very valuable support character at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mey-ying Kao
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Choose your abilities
I agree that it is best to choose which taoist abilities you use.
Also in a solo game and 2 player game, it is better that the centre village tile isn't the cemetary tile, but preferably the buddahtemple/herbalist.

Quote:
In general I think the blue board with 1 exorcism and 1 use of village tile is better. For green it depends, I like the reroll ability better, because I'm a lousy dice roller. Red I am unsure, I think both can be good. Yellow, it depends on the amount of players and strategy I guess. Can see good use of both of them.

In a solo/2player game I think the blue and/or green are the best boards to play with. They provide you the most usefull abilities throughout the game.

Quote:
Don't underestimate the power of the Buddhas.
At first we didn't really see the use of the buddhas, but at the moment your boards start to be overrun by ghost you immediatly see how the use of buddhas could have helped a great deal.

Other tips:
Kill ghosts with the haunting ability asap. Those will do most harm.
Also ghost with horrible abilities like capturing dice/prohibiting the use of tao tokens need to die asap.

In solo/two player games your really need to make good use of your power tokens, because they are really helpfull.

I think it's very important that you get a good understanding of what the village tiles do and more importantly when to use them. It is really important to explore the options and just try things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Total noob here but one thing occurring early on to us is this:

There are ways to remove ghosts without exorcising them: the tile that does it for 1Qi, and the Bhuddas. These tricks should almost never be used on ghosts that give a reward when exorcised (since you skip the reward). Similarly, ghosts which have an adverse effect on being exorcised should always be removed by these alternative means where possible (since you skip the punishment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schurosky
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
I am a noob to this game, among other board games. My friend (an upcoming board game enthusiast) and myself have made it to Hell Mode in 2p. I like the tips you have given and they will become useful as we move forward towards the first expansion. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are going to kill a big Ghost with the Yin Yang reward, use your yin yang before then you can take it back just after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.