Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After a quick play-through the night before with Lynne, as 2 unopposed humans fighting a faceless Cylon threat (the deck, and nothing but the deck), I was ready to lead my first real game of BSG: The Semi-Cooperative Boardgame.

The game started, as the story always starts I guess - humanity hard pressed by an attack Cylon fleet. Leading the fleet was the Cylon traitor Helo (me), our tragic dying president Roslin (Lynne), and erstwhile Human, and pilot extraordinaire Sharon (Tanya - who was hoping to be the Cylon).

We decided collectively to keep the pilots on the Galactica, and focus on destroying the few raidera and the basestar using the Galactica itself, rather than waste turns trying to get Sharon and myself into position. Privately, I decided that the best way to sabotage humanity, would be to passively throwing out my low cards at moments of high crisis - and use my admiral navigation choices to steer towards high resource drainage. And for the first half of our cruise, it worked. After easily escaping the Cylon threat, the fleet cruised forward troubled mainly by resource issues and internal strife. I bided my time, as the resources dripped away, keeping my spirits up and my face straight, even as the President chose Sharon to choose a jump destination our second time (taking us half-way to Kobol in only two jumps).

Halfway to Kobol - and Galactica's resources were all just teetering above the red line... I stepped up my campaign to drain the fleets resources - carefully throwing out a negative card here and there. President Roslin thought it suspicious that 3 tactical cards managed to come out of the destiny check in back-to-back crisis. Perhaps I misdealt the destiny deck I suggested - or one of you two are a traitor. She gave me a suspicious glare (I can never fool my wife), but let it pass. Meanwhile we whiled away the time. The president drawing quorum cards, Boomer in the science lab, and myself, in useless patrol around the Galactica, awaiting the "Cylon threat".

Our 3rd jump, a wonderfully fuel draining jump to a 6 distance away from the Colonies finally gave me a reason to rejoice. The Cylon fleet had come for us - and as serendipity would have it - our cards depleted themselves at the same time. Sharon was forced into the brig after a failed Crisis check. The president was injured in a freak accident. I could no longer contain my glee - a giggle finally escaped me - I just couldn't keep up a straight face anymore. Humanity was screwed. And as it turns out, that little giggle sealed my fate too. Rather than do the right thing, and wait for Roslin to accuse me before revealing myself (she went before me), I revealed right after she left sickbay and used up her remaining cards (and dropped the population counter deep into the red) with an FTP jump (two destinations to pick from - both 2 away - damn).

With the fleet just one jump from Kobol I revealed myself, as a Cylon fleet attacked again. The FTL drive was damaged, along with the hanger in the chaos as I escaped to Caprica. No early jumps this time. One turn later I unleashed a massive assault, just after the destiny deck managed to free Sharon, despite my best efforts, and the Admiral/President nuked the lone attacking basestar. A dozen raiders and two basestars were now attacking half a dozen civilian ships, and just 2 undamaged vipers remained. Humanity had just 1 fuel left, and 2 population.

But Humanity rallied - the president used Executive orders to help free Sharon early, who repaired the FTL drive. I managed to destroy ship after ship - but none with Fuel or population, as Galactica used her last nuke, and her main guns, to destroy the two basestars. Sharon's noble solo fight against the raiders drained her piloting cards, and ended up sending her to the sickbay as I activated the cylon fleet again and again. But it allowed some civilian ships to escape, and I couldn't draw a crisis card that hit fuel or population. As I cursed humanity for a final time, the Admiral/President launched the FTL a final time - humanity escaped with 1 population and 1 fuel to Kobol - where I could not follow.

Great play - took about 3 hours - a lot of that do to rule bumbling (this really needs a cheat sheet with all the symbols, and what to do when a cylon reveals). The middle stretch was fairly uneventful (boring), but the tight excitement during the opening escape, and the nonstop action during final two jumps made up for it.

I missed a turn of outright screwing over humanity, thanks to jumping the gun after I started laughing uncontrollably. Got to work on that. If I had reflected on it, Sharon had to use her action to get out of the brig, and I had more than enough cards to counter the President if she tried to send me there. Oh well - next time I'll be more patient, and work better on my poker face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Tanya wanted to be the cylon robot , but ended up winning as a human . How did she feel after the game was over? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think she's still disappointed she wasn't a Cylon. She only plays LoTR when we play with the Sauron expansion. Guess who asks to be Sauron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.