badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trap
Action/Reaction
Cost: 4 (2)

Play (Trash) to gain Silver card.
[possibly add Silver to hand or +2 money]

Reaction
Show (trash) to trash an attacking card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It sounds alot like the Bureucrat, with the exception of that you gain a silver card instead of putting it on top of the draw pile. Adding a silver to the hand would make it better than the Bureucrat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point and I am open for suggestions on what the action could be. One significant difference from the Bureaucrat is that there is no attack action.

I like reaction part, but didn't have a good idea for the action part.
The thought process was that the trap would catch the unwary attacker on defense, but as an action, it could be used to trap unwary animals (for a profit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, trashing the attacking card is a really cool idea.

I like it.

More powerful than the moat, but without the extra +2 cards.

Simple, elegant. Should cost 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rion Hanson
United States
Juneau
AK
flag msg tools
But different from the Moat in that it's a one time use card and then must be trashed, where as the moat can be used over and over again... Good card I might try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liked it so much I added an illustration for a variant of it to the geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37241

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure it's simple/elegant, because it adds something the game avoids: timing issues.

Alice plays Militia. Bob has no Moat, you have Trap, Charlie has Moat (seated in that order). When do you play Trap? Your choice? Wait for Bob to discard 2 cards, then Trap and Charlie doesn't have to reveal that he had a Moat? Wait till Bob discards 2 and Charlie reveals his Moat, then Trap? Does Trap have to be used before anyone resolves the attack?

Wait, I notice your wording doesn't actually cancel the attack. So you suffer the effects of the attack, then the attack card is trashed? Hm, that makes it a little simpler. Like Moat, you are only revealing and trashing the card... are you allowed to reveal it against a Militia, and then use it as one of the Militia discards, which is then trashed? What if more than one person wants to Trap the attack?

Also, this card "targets" one opponent (the attacker), which is something the designer has avoided -- which is not to say home-brew cards can't do that, just not sure how that will affect gameplay.

There seems to be a lot of people who want to punish attack cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point on the timing issues (complications to base game) this brings up.

I'd pictured going around the table allowing each potentially affected player to respond either with a reaction or suffering the effects. This defiintely would add a complication, it's a good question as to whether this would be worth it.

I am not against attack cards, I just wanted to see more diversity in the reaction cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear ya. I'm nowhere near tired of the base game after 30 plays, but I'm eagerly anticipating the expansions. I think there are some really cool cards coming, based on some comments from the designer regarding the base cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiddGames wrote:
I hear ya. I'm nowhere near tired of the base game after 30 plays, but I'm eagerly anticipating the expansions. I think there are some really cool cards coming, based on some comments from the designer regarding the base cards.

I'm not tired of the base game either, but think it should have come with at least one other reaction card.

Do you have a link about the comments you're referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this article, he talks about the history of the 25 cards in the base set. It's very interesting reading the thought processes and/or playtest impressions on those. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/355420

In this article/preview for Dominion at Boardgame News, he has some further comments on the game's development. http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

As he mentions in there, the base set is mostly "basic" cards. I think the expansions will have a lot more complexity in terms of game effects, card (and maybe player) interactions, and metagame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I bought the game, I thought it needed more reactions, like many others around the geek. I especially like the counter-action part, instead of the moat's nullification of attacks. I just had a couple other ideas, following along the same lines:

Resistance Army
Cost: 4
Action:1 Buy, 1 Coin
Reaction: Attacking player discards 1 card. Multiple armies can be shown to discard more cards.

Wizard
Cost:3
Action: 1 Coin, 1 Action
Reaction: After you suffer the affects of the attack, the Attacker gains no privileges from the attacking card played (If person A played the militia, person B would discard to 3 cards, reveal the wizard, and A would not get the 2 coins)

Swamp
Cost:3
Action: 1 Card, 1 Buy
Reaction: After you reveal this card, the attacking player receives his own attack. This card that you just revealed goes to the attacker's discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.