Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what might a 2p variant look like for Android?

First of all, what would happen if you sat 2 players with 3 suspects? Not enough choice in suspects to place evidence on? Or would it essentially work?

What about 2p, 4 suspects?

Other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is all speculation since I don't have the game in front of me yet.

It sounded like the biggest draw back would be the shift cards. You play dark cards against the other players. If there is only one other player, then it might get pretty boring. On top of that, it might be unbalanced if one character is too powerful in one area and does not have a thrid detective to keep him honest.

But I think I read that Kevin Wilson said it might work as a 2-player it just wasn't tested in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewchap wrote:
So what might a 2p variant look like for Android?

First of all, what would happen if you sat 2 players with 3 suspects? Not enough choice in suspects to place evidence on? Or would it essentially work?

What about 2p, 4 suspects?

Other ideas?

It will also depend on whether the Murders, and their specific event cards, assume that there are at least 4 suspects. With 3, there might be the temtation of automatically hitting the one you don't have Hunch cards for. Might just end up with all of the suspects dead. The game would still technically work, but it would be messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
ColtsFan76 wrote:
But I think I read that Kevin Wilson said it might work as a 2-player it just wasn't tested in that way.

Yeah, I think I saw that somewhere too. He said that it might work as a 2-player but wasn't confident enough to put that on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an important part of 2-player would be to throw some element of randomness into the murder investigation by seeding the suspects with random evidence at the beginning of the game. Potentially as much as one evidence token per file per suspect. That way, you won't know which ones your opponent played when you get a chance to peek at them. Perhaps have a random evidence token added at the end of each turn to a random spot, or every few turns (depending on the number of tokens available). With 3 suspects, you could use a d10 (and call the "0" no evidence), with 4, a d12, et cetera.

Also, I think if you stuck with 4 suspects as a minimum and gave each player 2 innocent hunches, it would ensure that every suspect got some play without disrupting the game too much. You would know what the other player had, though, which is a change, but not necessarily bad... (is he playing evidence on my "innocent" just to keep him from being innocent, or is he the one he actually thinks is guilty, or is it all a bluff?)

not sure how the conspiracy would shake out. might not get enough tiles for anything to happen. might have to give extra tiles out... that'll be one for testing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of doing a few things for a 2 player game

1.) a third "dummy" PI
2.) You must alternate picking dark cards for your opponent and the dummy. You cannot play a dark card on your opponent unless you last played one on the dummy (A form of discarding really)
3.) The third investigator moves the closest lead each turn regardless of distance. That lead is blindly placed on the 1st suspect, in the second turn the evidence is placed on the 2nd suspect and so on. One player then decides where the lead goes (lead controller). Lead controller alternates each turn.

I'm thinking this might work as a simple 2 player version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Benz
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fans of android,

after multiple solo sessions just to learn every single detail of the rules i would say a two player variant might work out well though with some discontent 'cause the game become a bit boring und less challenging!
For a two player I suggest to play without the hit markers or set up the game with at least two more suspects. To implement a dummy I fear this game would become to intriguing as it is quite enough tricky and complicated. greetings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips Markus (and everyone else)! I got this today and is just about to play it with one other person to learn the rules so having some idea of what to add to make it interesting is very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.