Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Pidcock
Canada
Baie d'Urfe
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
When I was a nip, d20s were bits of plastic numbered 0-9 twice which we colored in in crayon and said "red is tens"

Modern d20 of course, come pre-painted and are numbered 1-20

I've hunted high and low, all over the web, to find the classic d20 but there don't seem to be any anywhere. Does anyone know a source for the classic style of d20??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen some in bins at hobby/game stores. Don't know where they get them, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
The other problem with those old dice was that the plastic was crappy. I suspect most of them didn't survive the eighties (I know mine didn't.) I think I do have an old ugly brown d20 with 0-9 twice though. GM if you want me to send it to you (I don't want it, it just takes space in my dice bag.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
The other problem with those old dice was that the plastic was crappy. I suspect most of them didn't survive the eighties (I know mine didn't.) I think I do have an old ugly brown d20 with 0-9 twice though. GM if you want me to send it to you (I don't want it, it just takes space in my dice bag.)

If you mean those that came with the blue or red box Basic D&D, I'd agree the d20s didn't hold up well. But I've got tons from other games of the era (and bought in game stores separately) that I still use to this day. Tried to color them with the thin tip of the Sharpie, but crayon works best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Droscha
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One source is...
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

I have never dealt with this source, nor am I associated with it in any way.

To find other sources, try a search for "20-sided d10" or "twenty-sided d10" including the quotation marks.

Any of these I've seen recently are pre-inked, so you will need to color one set of digits with a marker pen (such as a Sharpie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fox
msg tools
LoopyWolf wrote:
When I was a nip, d20s were bits of plastic numbered 0-9 twice which we colored in in crayon and said "red is tens"

Modern d20 of course, come pre-painted and are numbered 1-20

I've hunted high and low, all over the web, to find the classic d20 but there don't seem to be any anywhere. Does anyone know a source for the classic style of d20??

Anyone know what they're worth (he said, glancing surreptitiously into his palm)...

I have a couple of them. One is colored in (I think with pencil) with the points a little worn, the other looks almost new. I haven't gamed in many years, and don't need them (I'll buy a new d20 if I need one).

Send me a couple of bucks for packaging and shipping and their yours. Or I'll include them for free with anything you buy from my antique sale on RPG.net (old stuff I realized I didn't need anymore -- old Strategy & Tactics games, D&D figures, etc.). I should probably post those items here when I get the chance.

PM me for details if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chellman
United States
New Berlin
WI
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm pretty sure I've got one or two if you still need one. You can have them. Just send me a gm if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Watkins
United States
Arvada
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much they're worth (not much is my guess), but I sold an old edition D&D box set last year for $7 and all the guy wanted was the dice set. I think they sell better as sets, but you might be able to get a buck or two for a d20 in good condition. Just a guess based on my experience. Good luck. - Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.