Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: Normal Dungeons in RTL rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
more spam
msg tools
mb
Hi,

Wasnt sure which section to post this in so here goes, I also posted this at the FF forums but I figure there is probalby more trafic here

I am fairly new to Descent and have played a few JITD games (3-4) just to get used to the rules. I realy like how much the dungeons can be customized and add cool tricks or puzzles, and a bit selling point is to make my own dungeons.

Recently I purchased WOD, AOD, and RTL and will be starting up an RTL campaign. The problem is that I haven't played thought all of the JITD, WOD, and AOD included dungeons and it seems like a bit of a waste.

I was wondering if anyone had found a way to implement the normal dugeons you get in each expansion (JITD, WOD, AOD) or ones that I make into an RTL campaign.

I was thinking of either additional rumor cards with these dungeons which would make the rumor deck larger (not sure what I would do about rewards for the new dungeons) or just expanding the rumor deck to include the new cards but still sticking to the same number of dungeon rumors to keep it balanced (ie: lets say I had 30 dungeon rumor cards I would randomly pick 20 dungeon rumors from the available 30 and then add the bad rumor cards to the deck).

This seemed to be the most natural place to implement the normal dungeons, anyone have any other ideas or have you tried it in your own campaign? could there be any potential balance issues?

P.S: obviously I would have to tweek the normal dungeons to suit rule changes in RTL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the "normal" dungeons fit well into an RtL campaign. By far the most of them are way too long. Even the Legendary areas in RtL are much shorter than your average AoD or WoD quest.

I'd save them up for the occasional game outside the campaign. Perhaps you've got some other players who'd like to try Descent or your regulars might want a break occasionally.

If you really want to incorporate them into RtL, I'd wait until after your first campaign. You have enough RtL dungeons to go without repeating any for that, and afterwards you'll have a better idea of how to customize the larger quests to possibly fit into RtL.

Just my €0.02 worth of thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried it, but if you do, I'd use the one level as the entire dungeon, and I would remind you to use the RtL treasure rules. Roll and consult the proper campaign section of the chart. That's probably the closest you can come from keeping it from becoming unbalanced. That and either rough up the heroes as much as possible or reduce the number of glyphs (since they usually have one or two per section and five or more sections per level). Otherwise, their XP sky rockets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.