Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing an opponent's event card for op points, can opponent nix event? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Daniels
United States
Pepeekeo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I played this for the first time yesterday and had a very good time. We have one question though, there was a point where I had played his event card for the operation points since I had worked out the map to a point where playing it at that time would not hurt me severely, whereas playing it at another time could do more damage to me. My friend said he did not want the event to trigger, meaning the card would go to the discard pile instead of being removed from the game and have a chance to reappear later when it could do more damage. I was not sure if this was allowed or not, but let it slide at the time. Now reflecting on it, it seems to me that it should have activated regardless, done the minimal damage that I had worked hard to arrange, and been removed from the game.

So what is it? Do your opponent's events take place (when allowable) immediately when played for op points? Or does your opponent have the option of saying whether the event triggers or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the event has been canceled or the prereq. hasn't been played, the event has to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely, the event is mandatory. It's one of the things that's most fun about TS - engineering it so that you can play your opponent's event cards when they do the least amount of damage. (For instance, the Soviet player plays Truman Doctrine, when there are no uncontrolled countries with Soviet influence.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Robinson
Canada
Timmins
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Jeff and Strope have said, playing a card with an opponent's event for OPs always triggers the event (and starred events are permanently removed from the deck once their effects are resolved), unless your play is accompanied by play of UN intervention. Remember that you can choose to have your opponent's event before or after you use the Ops value of the card for actions, which can further minimize their impact.

(edited once for content and grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniels
United States
Pepeekeo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses. That is what I thought after the game. In the end it did not hurt me, but I wanted to be sure for the next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.