Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
What goes up white and comes down yellow and white?

Bananagrams!

Yes Robin. That's got to be it. That's the only possible explanation

The most brilliant thing about Bananagrams, really, may be the whole banana "theme". It makes for a cute package. It *sounds* like a fun game just from the title. I mean who doesn't like bananas?

OK, bad example, I don't really like bananas. At least not to eat. But in the words of Garfield:

Really though the game is just speed Scrabble, which has been around in various forms for quite some time, invented by people who quite understandably find Scrabble infuriatingly slow (especially with multiple people). Everyone gets a set of tiles and simultaneously creates their own Scrabble-style grid. The first one to finish says "peel" (in the banana theme) and everyone gets another tile. Rinse and repeat until you are out of tiles and then whoever finishes first is the winner.

You may be wondering why you should pay ~$15 for something you could just make yourself by taking all the letters from your old Scrabble set and throwing them in a cloth bag. And sure you could do that, but consider:

* The tiles in Bananagrams are designed with the idea of quick arrangement and rearrangement in mind. The rounded edges and smaller size makes them a lot easier to manipulate quickly.

* You get more tiles. 144 as opposed to I think 100 in a Scrabble set. This allows Bananagrams to play quite easily to 5 or 6 people, whereas the tiles in a Scrabble set would be half-gone even as the game begins.

* You get to say "Bananagrams". Seriously, imagine you've never played or heard of either game (or of Scrabble). What would you rather play: "Speed Scrabble" or "Bananagrams". Also, you can sing that muppet "Manuh Manuh" song substituting "Bananagrams" for "Mahnuh Manuh".

Anyway, as far as this type of game goes - extremely simple to teach with broad appeal to non-gamers - it is hard to do better. Obviously someone who hates word games probably won't care for it, but everyone I've introduced this game to has liked it. At least 2 friends immediately ordered it the day after I showed it to them.

For anyone who likes Scrabble, Boggle, Upwords, etc., I just can't recommend this game strongly enough. The last four person game of Scrabble I played (probably ever) took almost 2 hours. A game of this is over in 15 minutes. I've actually never had a session where we just played once. This game usually gets repeated 2 or 3 times before moving on to heavier fare. It's absurdly portable. Scales well from 3 to 7 players (playable with 2, but the frenetic energy that comes with more players improves the game in my opinion).

If you are someone who feels the need to proselytize the gaming hobby, this is simply a must-get. This is the quick little game you use to engender some good will ("hey, maybe these games he keeps talking about are pretty fun"), so they will bear with you while digesting the rules to something slightly more complicated like Settlers, Carcassone, or Ticket to Ride (then use that goodwill to introduce Pillars of the Earth or Puerto Rico, etc etc).

In short the only people who shouldn't get Bananagrams are:
*people who hate word games.
*people who hate fun
*people who need that $15 to eat/pay the rent/score some smack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

I think there is one exception to this.

If you HATE word games, but are forced to play scrabble by your wife, and need a game that could possibly substitute for scrabble (and even have a remote chance of winning).

If only I could throw out that #$#$ scrabble dictionary. "AAA", "ZZZ", BRRRRR, etc are weird words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

I think there is one exception to this.

If you HATE word games, but are forced to play scrabble by your wife, and need a game that could possibly substitute for scrabble (and even have a remote chance of winning).

If only I could throw out that #$#$ scrabble dictionary. "AAA", "ZZZ", BRRRRR, etc are weird words.

I would get jitters over bannagrams for this purpose. AmuseAmaze and Typo are also good games for scrabble haters who have to play games with scrabble lovers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jadzia_dax wrote:

I would get jitters over bannagrams for this purpose. AmuseAmaze and Typo are also good games for scrabble haters who have to play games with scrabble lovers.

Prolix is very good, too. If only it would get published!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Gunn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I give you a thumb for the Muppet video alone... though some fun Nazi decided to take it down shake but I appreciate the reference

I do believe I will be picking this up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
jadzia_dax wrote:

Prolix is very good, too. If only it would get published!

It got published.

Also (instead?) check out it's streamline update Wordsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.