Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice video. It's been a while since I played. I always have trouble figuring out what happens when tokens are removed from the boards. Can they come back on? Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Nice video. It's been a while since I played. I always have trouble figuring out what happens when tokens are removed from the boards. Can they come back on? Etc.

No, they do not come back on, so once a piece (enemy or Fellowship) has been removed, it cannot come back for the rest of that scenario... So if you defeat the red enemy piece, for example, any red swords can be ignored on trigger tiles for the remainder of that scenario. I probably should have mentioned that, but it was really hard to cram everything I wanted to into 10 minutes. I'll probably add an annotation onto the video to say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edy Ferreira
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the video, very nice done. This is my favorite expansion for one of my favorites games. At least I know I am playing in the right way. However, the problem that I have is that it have been impossible for me to win yet. What could I be doing wrong? Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eferreira wrote:
Thanks a lot for the video, very nice done. This is my favorite expansion for one of my favorites games. At least I know I am playing in the right way. However, the problem that I have is that it have been impossible for me to win yet. What could I be doing wrong? Any advice?

As I said in the video, I lost terribly the first few times playing Battlefields (I don't think I'd even made it past Helm's Deep), but finally won (not easily, but definitively) when acting on the timing of the swords better... Instead of skipping turns to place Fellowship pieces on the board, it seems to work better to wait until you turn up trigger tiles, see what's on them, and hopefully be able to purchase a Fellowship piece to effectively block them or destroy them. Remember that when "buying" the use of a Fellowship piece by paying their fighting or wild symbol cost, you can do that at any time on your turn. For example, if you have a trigger tile with two green swords, you can move the green piece one space, place your Fellowship piece, and then move the green piece the second space (or not, if it's been blocked).

Of course, if you have no other option, you'll probably need to skip a turn or two to place a Fellowship piece that way, but when you do that, you're sort of guessing where it will be most effective, instead of knowing where it will be effective by seeing what the trigger tiles hold. You're gonna get some damage anyway, but it seems to be more manageable and the ability to destroy the enemies and gain their benefits is stronger when you can place pieces based on what the triggers show.

And as with all of the LOTR games and expansions, the use and timing of the various special cards from Rivendell and Lothlorien and other special abilities and cards is often crucial. If you've lost the game and hadn't yet used things like the "Place One Fellowship Piece on the Battleboard" and "Discard Any 2 Face-Down Trigger Tiles" cards, then that certainly didn't help... I always shudder when I lose a game of LOTR and realize that I haven't used yellow cards or Gandalf cards that I could have used at some point to prevent some damage or help in some other way. Sure, you feel like you want to try to save some of them for later in the game, but if using them earlier would keep you alive so you might actually see "later in the game", then you should really go ahead and use them earlier at some point.

Anyway, I'm no expert, by any means, but those are some things I've picked up on since finally having defeated Battlefields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Finally got around to watching your video and I enjoyed it very much. It looked like you made one mistake however. From the rules: "...and place all remaining trigger tiles face down in a stack next to the last Event box." (Page 3.) This means that there will still be trigger tiles left on the last Event if you are required to draw extra trigger tiles.

I agree with you that spending your end of turn bonus on placing fellowship pieces is generally a waste since you usually don't know where to put them, and I also agree that it would be nice to be able to move the FSP pieces. (Hence the varient I proposed.)

My chief complaint however is that it doesn't integrate very well with the other expansions and seems half-done to me in that respect. The art work and flow chart graphics only increase my unease. I really want to like this expansion more, because as you pointed out, it's dynamic in a sense that the base game and other expansions aren't, but in the end I would place it 3rd out of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Finally got around to watching your video and I enjoyed it very much. It looked like you made one mistake however. From the rules: "...and place all remaining trigger tiles face down in a stack next to the last Event box." (Page 3.) This means that there will still be trigger tiles left on the last Event if you are required to draw extra trigger tiles.

A ha. That makes more sense, actually. I'll add an annotation when I get a chance... Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in youtube (msolec2000) Battlefields intrigues me and it should warrant a more in-depth look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
And as with all of the LOTR games and expansions, the use and timing of the various special cards from Rivendell and Lothlorien and other special abilities and cards is often crucial. If you've lost the game and hadn't yet used things like the "Place One Fellowship Piece on the Battleboard" and "Discard Any 2 Face-Down Trigger Tiles" cards, then that certainly didn't help... I always shudder when I lose a game of LOTR and realize that I haven't used yellow cards or Gandalf cards that I could have used at some point to prevent some damage or help in some other way. Sure, you feel like you want to try to save some of them for later in the game, but if using them earlier would keep you alive so you might actually see "later in the game", then you should really go ahead and use them earlier at some point.

First off, as this thread was bumped by someone else, I don't feel so guilty about posting .

In most of my games, I prefer to save those above-mentioned cards, as well as Gandalf's Onslaught AND if I have it, the damage-negating card from Rivendell all for Mordor. I know if I use any of those earlier, chances of beating the Mordor scenario will be significantly reduced. In that sense, I'd rather lose early, than a heart-breaking loss in Mordor. Naturally, sometimes using those cards is unavoidable, but as a general rule for me, save them all for Mordor.

I want to also say that Battlefields feels a lot harder than Friends & Foes. I've yet to defeat BF with 2 hobbits, Sauron at 15, which I've done for F&F. Heck, F&F, 2 hobbits and Sauron at 12 game felt a lot closer than any of my BF with 2 hobbits, Sauron at 15, even though I lost. Oddly enough, base + BF + F&F with 3 hobbits, Sauron at 15 I beat on the second try and it felt lot easier than base + BF with 3 hobbits .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.