Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I shouldn't limit my title. My whole extended family rocks. But my nephew in particular rocks, mostly because he worships me. And part of why he worships me is because he loves the games I bring when I head back home to visit my parents.

Kyle is 11, and just may be smarter than me. If he gets bored, he speaks in haiku. Really, he does. And he will tell you all sorts of 5-syllable phrases that can be easily relied upon to finish a haiku. (His favorite is "Weird Al Yankovic" but I love "I'll be in my room".) So I decided it may just be time to ramp up the style of games I bring, and RoboRally was clearly the hit of the lot. So Friday came, and the womenfolk went shopping, leaving the men and kids to fend for ourselves. Out came Starcraft while the kids were still playing video games, but when the kids started filtering upstairs, we brought out RoboRally.

And Kyle picked it up like supermodels pick up ugly rock stars. I won the first game on the simple layout on the "chess" board. But Kyle picked it up faster than any of my brothers-in-law or the 16-year-old nephew. And the second game in the vault, he got the pressor beam. Give a pressor beam to an eleven-year-old and you can imagine what happens.

And you'd be wrong.

He lined up my 9-year-old niece at the end of a turn, and she whimpered "You're gonna push me!" Kyle simply replied "No, I'm not." And I was so proud of him. Because while I can't remember the exact circumstance, it was better for him to push her NEXT turn, which he did. She ended up on a conveyor belt and was then pushed off the edge of the board because he contained the 11-year-old compulsion to use the newest toy he had. And since a brother-in-law and I kept getting tied up on a tough-to-reach flag, Kyle won our second game.

Fast forward to Saturday night, and because I was staying at their house rather than my parents', we were able to play games later than I normally would get to with him. And he made sure his dad got introduced to RoboRally. Now, dad is an engineer who graduated from MIT (which, in part, explains Kyle's thinkiness), so I figured this would be right up his alley. And I was right. I won the first simple teaching game on "Islands" in short order, but I could see that Keith had picked up on it far too fast for my liking. And he got off to a great start on the second game in the chop shop. I had one hand where I just got to sit-n-spin, and I couldn't catch up to him. But on his way across the floor to touch flag 4, I was on his tail to touch flag 2 and lasered him up enough that he felt he could power down and make sure he got the hand he needed to end the game.

But calling your shot is a lot of fun. I got 8 cards that round, and spelled out exactly what I needed to keep the game from ending. Move 1 to touch the flag I needed, move 2 to jump the conveyor belt, turn left to get him in my sights, then move 1 and move 3 to push him onto a conveyor belt off the board to cost him his last life. A very specific set of cards which Keith figured would be long odds to get. But I got them.

And this is when I discovered the one condition where I may throw a game. I don't throw them for for my wife. Whether it's promises of favors or the occasional pouty expression, I play to win. Small kids... they need to suck it up. But when the game has gone past the bedtime of an 11-year-old and it looks to head on another half hour should I do something like push someone off the board... I think I may somehow not have the cards I need. Wow, did Kyle get punchy once we got past 10:00. And at 10:15 when I pushed dad off the board, it got worse. Oh, he still managed to win, right when dad told him that he'd better win that turn or we'd have to pack it up without a winner at 11:00, but I think I'd rather deal with him on Halloween night on a mammoth sugar rush than drag out another game beyond his bedtime.

Anyhow, like I said, my nephew rocks. And I really look forward to a lot more games with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And Kyle picked it up like supermodels pick up ugly rock stars

Haven't heard this one before. Sounds like just like your nephew you have a few phrases of your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.