Hide
17 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Setup for this game is a snap! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Last night was the second time I had to setup the game from scratch. And I just noticed it’s does not take long at all. The photos of the game may intimidate some folks but this game is really fast to set up. I’d say 10 minutes sounds about right because of the card shuffling.

Of note:

1. I have my tokens separated into the small Ziploc baggies they sell at pharmacies to store pills in.

2. I keep the monster on a cloth bag that serves both for storage inside the game box, and acts as the monster cup.

3. I keep Mask monsters on a small Ziploc baggie separated from the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed!
The game may take a long time to play (although it's a blast and one my all-time faves) but it sets up quickly enough, considering how many components are involved.
The expansions, even the big-boards, don't add a lot of extra time to that either...

Awesome game; I hope no one lets the intimidating pics scare them off from at least trying it once.
It may not be for everyone, but man-oh-man, it is for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key is, like in most games, keeping the components organized in-between games. I separate bits during every cleanup so if I have a chance to play(harder & harder with a busy work schedule) or heaven forbid introduce a new player, we can get to it as quickly as possible and not bore a potential new player with extensive setup that, in this game, isn't so easily done while explaining the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread is a complete lie.

I have baggie upon baggie for this game and, with all expansions, I'm setting up for a good half hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Magic Pink wrote:

I have baggie upon baggie for this game and, with all expansions, I'm setting up for a good half hour.

I'm talking just the base game for the record. I don't own any expansions. And by the way, I'm no liar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Pink. All of my stuff is sorted and this game still takes a bit of time to set up. I'd say a spend 5-10 minutes shuffling cards alone (and I don't bother shuffling the location decks). The Mythos deck and the Gate deck are so huge that they cannot be shuffled all together. Then everyone has to get their characters, all their starting kit, health & sanity markers, adjust their sliders, etc...

It is well worth all of the effort put into set up, but I find it always takes around 20-30 minutes before the first turn happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to a quick setup is to only get out what you really need.

You don't need to seperate out each token type - they are deliberately different colours and shapes so you can dump all the tokens in one pile and still easily find what you want. Countless baggies just increase the set up and take down time.

There's no point in seperating out all the special use cards like the Retainers, Loans, Lodge membership, Deputy's gear etc) - all in one pile.

Don't shuffle any card piiles until you draw from them for the first time.

Locations - one big pile; pull out each particular location the first time you visit it.

Basically, do the absolute minimum and you are playing in 5 minutes. Gradually refine the setup as you need during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pink's post is a lie.
5-10 mins max to set up, with all expansions up to and including Black Goat. Any more than that and maybe you need to get your grand children to help you out.
Tokens in partitioned tuck box all ready to play and decks all separated.
Shuffle the decks when you put them away.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the OP is correct for base game alone. And I suppose if you always play with all your expansions mixed in, Ninja Dorg is also, I suspect. I do not play with all my expansions mixed in, though, so it takes me 20-30 minutes to set-up and a like amount of time to tear down. If I have experienced players who understand my obsessive-compulsive sorting system and all help, it does cut the time in half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I also think 20-30 mins for setup (including Dunwich), and we are pretty well practised.

We
- have all tokens stored in and played from a compartmentalised box.
- Dont shuffle most decks until first use
- Dont shuffle on pack-up, it already takes long enough at 5 in the morning!

We do choose our 4 characters (2 each) but are pretty quick at this. As mentioned above just getting all the skills, equipment and tokens for them takes a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ackerman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game takes me no longer than 5 - 10 minutes to set up and I am not the most organized of players.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at a 10 minute start up time with dunwich & KiY. All the cards are in tuckboxs, I have a black opaque bag for the monsters, other bits in ziplocks. Clue tokens in one bag, mask monsters in another, gate tokens in another, stamina + Sanity + skill sliders + doom tokens in another (I may seperate the doom tokens out), and everything thing else in a final one. (Investigators are all stored in KiY box.
I have two sepereate tuck boxes for my mtythos deck. What I normally do is use one tuck box for one game, and the second for a second game. Ditto for gate locations. Also after everyone getting their fixed items I cut each deck into thirds, and then shuffle only the top half of each deck (skill deck excluded). It's much easier to shuffle and we've never come close to drawing through that many cards yet.
Even with my planning its 10 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd say 10-15 minutes from putting the boxes on the to drawing the first Mythos card. I shuffle the Mythos, Gate, and items decks beforehand, since you're drawing from them all right away. We have compartmentalized boxes for tokens and semi-permanent trays to hold all the different decks (the Innovatium ones), plus two permanent drawstring bags for monsters and gates.

When it takes longer, it's usually because we're choosing investigators rather than picking them randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's about 15 minutes setup for a mere mortal like me - but then I like to get everything in place before we start going, as it's a complex enough beast of a game without having to prepare decks "as you go".

As for people who claim to setup in 5 mins because you "shuffle the decks when you finish" - well... that's not really 5 mins is it - your simply deferring some of your setup time to the end of the previous game ! And besides, you can't pre-shuffle many of the items decks (as you need to remove specific items from them when you select characters) so it is somewhat of a false economy I'd say.

Trying to get the darn game to fit on my table probably adds another 5 mins for me personally, but that's my deficient furniture to blame, so I'll keep my estimate at 15 mins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McMonigal
United States
Pgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

That is entirely the problem. You've separated too much, me thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to separate everything, like I do, spend $6 on a Plano box and leave all the bits in there -- just draw from the compartments as needed. If you do a little prep work you can set the game up very quickly.

It also helps to limit the number of stamina/sanity tokens to what each player will need instead of returning them to the pile -- an investigator with, say, three stamina and seven sanity needs three 1 stamina tokens, four 1 sanity tokens, and one 3 sanity token to cover all the possibilities. Sliding those on and off the investigator card as needed is way faster than fishing through the token piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
As for people who claim to setup in 5 mins because you "shuffle the decks when you finish" - well... that's not really 5 mins is it - your simply deferring some of your setup time to the end of the previous game !

So?
What would you rather do - play straight away or have to wait and have the OCD half hour brigade get out all his ziplock baggies and line them up in a straight line?
Two minutes shuffling decks at the end of the night is something you can do when everyone's gone, or if you have a nice group, they shuffle a deck each and it takes 15 seconds.
Bish bash bosh.
Also, a storage/plano box is the only way to go if you have all the expansions. . .

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.