Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
So far I found the combat system in Napoleon in Europe, which looks pretty much like what I want, except for two shortcomings: I'm not much into Napoleonic games and even if I was the game is out of print and quite expensive. Other than that it's perfect:

- simple battlefield
- simple terrain modifiers and general tactics (scouting, reinforcements, retreats)
- simple maneuver and attack concepts, a little bit above other dice rolling combat systems but not a full wargame
- fair play time
- plastic (as in both minis and nice presentation)

I'd prefer ancient or medieval setting so if you can think of something, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fixpix wrote:
So far I found the combat system in Napoleon in Europe, which looks pretty much like what I want, except for two shortcomings: I'm not much into Napoleonic games and even if I was the game is out of print and quite expensive. Other than that it's perfect:

- simple battlefield
- simple terrain modifiers and general tactics (scouting, reinforcements, retreats)
- simple maneuver and attack concepts, a little bit above other dice rolling combat systems but not a full wargame
- fair play time
- plastic (as in both minis and nice presentation)

I'd prefer ancient or medieval setting so if you can think of something, please let me know.

Sounds like you're looking for Commands & Colors: Ancients. Except for having wood blocks for units instead of plastic, it's got everything on your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Aquino
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Here's a second nomination for CC:A.. I have played all the Total War series (and loved them! Looking forward to Empires!) and Ancients definitely has the same kind of feel.

The wood blocks look great too. I was skeptical at first, because I too wanted some cool plastic units, but the wood block have certainly grown on me and give this game a nice feel.

If you can't take the block though, you may want to look into BattleLore, it is a retheme of CC:A in the medieval/fantasy era. It has the plastic bits, but it is not historical in the same sense as Ancients, as there are elves, trolls, and magical things as well. I think you can play historical scenarios without all the fantasy, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the suggestions but C&C system is no good. I had Battlelore and I sold it along with a lot of expansions. I also have no reason to believe CC:A is any different, reading the rules and seeing the pictures. I'm also not happy about paying for the privilege to rework all the graphics on the cards and units, since I think they are ugly as hell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can hold Days of Wonder at fault if your taste in art is different from theirs. If you choose to "rework" their art, that's entirely on your own head, as I see it.

But I'd agree that C&C: Ancients may be too similar to the other games in that excellent series to merit interest on your part.

I think C&C:A was probably the closest thing to what you're looking for - to save yourself the hassle, just go play Medieval: Total War 2 online. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fixpix wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions but C&C system is no good. I had Battlelore and I sold it along with a lot of expansions. I also have no reason to believe CC:A is any different, reading the rules and seeing the pictures. I'm also not happy about paying for the privilege to rework all the graphics on the cards and units, since I think they are ugly as hell.

When I first got C&C:A, I was put off by the blocks and art and spent a considerable amount of time and money converting it to miniatures. But after 100s of plays I find everything about C&C: Ancients elegant. (Give me a better word and I'll use it.) And with the addition of the mounted boards in the last two expansions, I no longer have even a minor gripe with the game. (The miniatures now sit on a shelf gathering dust.)

C&C:A plays cleaner and quicker than BattleLore and I have yet to teach it to someone who has not demanded more plays. It and its expansions are the only games I rate a ten -- Battlelore is a 7 -- so I'm obviously a fan. But I think there is enough difference between BattleLore and C&C:A to warrant another look if you can find someone who owns it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I don't think you can hold Days of Wonder at fault if your taste in art is different from theirs. If you choose to "rework" their art, that's entirely on your own head, as I see it.

I think the OP was referring to Ancients and not BattleLore.

Quote:
But I'd agree that C&C: Ancients may be too similar to the other games in that excellent series to merit interest on your part.

Perhaps you're right. I guess it all depends on what he disliked about BattleLore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
earache wrote:

I think the OP was referring to Ancients and not BattleLore.

Indeed I was referring to Ancients. I have nothing against blocks per se, I agree they are more functional than the miniatures but to me the difference between DoW quality for example and GMT as far as graphical presentation is like the difference between Michaelangelo and an ape with a brush (no offence to the artist).

earache wrote:

Perhaps you're right. I guess it all depends on what he disliked about BattleLore.

The medieval fights in Battlelore seem to lack tactics. Since 90% of all units are melle and can only hit in close combat, you have to get them in the middle and start praying for good rolls. There's little else one can do about it, maneuvering is almost pointless (excepting keeping troops bold and maybe stockpiling cards to breach through one section). I found those games rather dull. The lore decks shake things up a bit by allowing you to use surprise tactics but I didn't care much for the fantasy setting.

Another thing I didn't like is that fights tend to be very long and static. Since most units have between 1/6 and 1/3 chance of hitting on one die it takes a while to erode through the enemy. I don't like this part of the game where units are clogged in the middle rolling dice.

Those are in short some things I don't like about Battlelore. I still think it's a good game but given the opportunity to choose one of the games from the system I would always, without doubt pick Memoir. There's fast, furious action and decisions have impact on unit's firepower and chance of survival. So what would be the point of having Battlelore or CC:A around for then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Quote:
The medieval fights in Battlelore seem to lack tactics. Since 90% of all units are melle and can only hit in close combat, you have to get them in the middle and start praying for good rolls. There's little else one can do about it, maneuvering is almost pointless (excepting keeping troops bold and maybe stockpiling cards to breach through one section). I found those games rather dull. The lore decks shake things up a bit by allowing you to use surprise tactics but I didn't care much for the fantasy setting.

Another thing I didn't like is that fights tend to be very long and static. Since most units have between 1/6 and 1/3 chance of hitting on one die it takes a while to erode through the enemy. I don't like this part of the game where units are clogged in the middle rolling dice.

Are you sure you want medieval warfare? 90% of medieval armies were melee types, and tactics generally consisted of getting your line of men to advance into their line of men and slug it out. Medieval warfare was not big on fancy maneuvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Conquerors. Total War is based on this SPI wargame.

You move your armies around on a strategic map of Mediteranean Europe and battles are resolved by moving your units onto the tactical battle map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I would have guessed the Total War series was inspired more by Ikusa than anything. The original Total War:Shogun strategic map was very reminiscent of the Shogun board.
And Shogun always reminded me of a simplified version of Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Wizard
United States
flag msg tools
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hall
United States
Marion
SC - South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
I would have guessed the Total War series was inspired more by Ikusa than anything. The original Total War:Shogun strategic map was very reminiscent of the Shogun board.
And Shogun always reminded me of a simplified version of Samurai

I could have sworn that Shogun:Total War was originally billed in preview articles as a straight-up adaptation of Ikusa(/Shogun). But I can't find any of them online. In any case, yeah, it's clearly the inspiration for the strategic component of the PC series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Although I personally love the Command&Colours sistem, I don't consider it that similar to the Total War series

So I would also be very interested in hearing some games which somehow represent that combination of Strategic and Tactic play of the TW pc games. If possible, not far too complex games, since I'm still a bit of newbie to this whole hobby

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though not ancient, Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 does both the strategic and tactical aspects. Columbia also has American Civil War games that are similar, but I don't know of any ancient or medieval games like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking outside of the bubble here, but Joan of Arc and it's sister Renaissance are a close fit to the STRATEGIC portions of Medieval Total War, albeit less complicated. No, you won't get little armies to move all around for the TACTICAL part you are looking for, but for the overall core of these games you get infrastructure building, army building, income management, diplomacy, etc.
You may be searching for an mirage. Remember that each of the 5 minute battles in Total War could take hours if you tried to duplicate them with a board game.

Disclaimer: My experience is only with the original Medieval: Total War, and with Rome: Total War (my PC doesn't have a DVD player, so I haven't tried the 2nd version of Medieval). But I played the heck out of those games, back in the day, and they are as responsible for getting me back into face to face boardgaming, as almost any other factor, because of the turn-based system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.