Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Bost
United States
Kintnersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm feeling really inept because I don't see another thread asking this question.

I've tried twice to play a game of DOA and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to start the game!! Halfway through the rule book, there is a page titled "Starting the Game" and it shows me how to set up the board...and then continues back into the rules!

I'm really confused... If anyone has a link to a some well organized rules, or can clear things up for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White takes the first tunr. They have nothing to do but bring in two of their characters to towers. Next turn, they will move those two characters, then bring in two more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. After you get your characters, you begin to bring them in. The first turn, each side will bring in two characters. After that, they begin moving and doing things, according to the Turn Sequence.

They can move around, fight and hide. But you need to get them to the Labyrinths and face the challenges, beat the challenges and get equipment used to kill your opponent while you go get more challenges completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what the original rulebook says, since I got a bundle that only came with the Masters Addendum book. You can download it in pieces here:
http://www.duelofages.com/rules/

What you are looking for is in the file that has pages 4 - 9. In that file you will find what you need on pages 3 and 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nolan Guthrie
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
It is a wargame!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
bring in two of their characters to towers.

That should be "Domes"
just to avoid any further confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nguthrie wrote:
Quote:
bring in two of their characters to towers.

That should be "Domes"
just to avoid any further confusion.

Right, thanks. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bost
United States
Kintnersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rule book twice and STILL couldn't figure out how to start, or what the point of the game was. So thank you to all of you for clearing this up for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DraperyFalls wrote:
I read the rule book twice and STILL couldn't figure out how to start, or what the point of the game was. So thank you to all of you for clearing this up for me!

The point of the game is for your side to score more VPs than the opposing side when time runs out.

VPs can be scored in the following ways:

1. The side (black or white) that has more characters on the board when time runs out gets 1 VP. Note that you only get 1 VP for having more characters. Killing lots of enemy characters are a means to an end, but not the end itself.

2. For each labyrinth, the side whose guardian has advanced furthest (due to successful challengers) gets 1 VP. Note that having your guardian way ahead of the other side's guardian still only gains you 1 VP. It just takes the other side longer to catch up. So there's no reason for overkill.

3. Your side gets 1 VP for successfully attacking your opponent's HQ. The HQ is not included in Set 1, it's in an expansion. This 1 VP is canceled by the opponent's VP if they successfully attack your HQ.

I won't go into the other scoring keys included in the other expansions.

To achieve victory, you need to look over your team of characters. You need to decide what their strengths and weaknesses are. Figure out which characters support each other and team them up. Some characters like Three-U are best operating alone. Which characters are best suited for which equipment? Some characters are good at making certain challenges while others make good hunter-killers or snipers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't feel bad (or stupid) if I were you. IMHO the original Rules were simply unclear on this crucial point (almost to the extent of being 'broken')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.