Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have the base game and most of the expansions -- just missing West End Adventures. I assume that the base game cases should be played in order. But am I correct that any case from the expansions can be tackled in any order (including mixed in with the base game), with the exception of one case from the Mansion Murders? And is that one case (which I've read here requires knowledge of the cases in the base game) obvious from the very beginning of the mystery or does the "external" knowledge requirement become known only part way through the case?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
I have the base game and most of the expansions -- just missing West End Adventures. I assume that the base game cases should be played in order. But am I correct that any case from the expansions can be tackled in any order (including mixed in with the base game), with the exception of one case from the Mansion Murders? And is that one case (which I've read here requires knowledge of the cases in the base game) obvious from the very beginning of the mystery or does the "external" knowledge requirement become known only part way through the case?

Hrm, yes?

My personal take on the game is that any case can be played in any order. The only drawback would be that you might get confused going through the older newspapers, since you might not know which clue is about an older case, and which is about the current one.

As for the one exception you mentioned... I started playing with the Mansion Murders, without owning the basic game, and I don't recall suffering from my lack of knowledge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Heh. I just dug up his game in my chest of unplayed games. I was planning to give it a try soon. What can I expect? Is it a cakewalk or do I have to be prepared for some serious and clever deduction-work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in theory you can play any scenario in any order, but the newspapers are cumulative. If you're playing #3, something relevant may be in newspaper #1--but the game will be harder because you won't know what information was used in #1 and #2. But I'm guessing: I have the original and two expansions, but I played it long, long ago. It might be that a later case would have a spoiler for an earlier case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In each game, the newspapers are cumulative, so they should be played in order.

Each expansion is separate, so you can play those in any order. If you want to play a "campaign", just go by the newspaper dates for the whole lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
Heh. I just dug up his game in my chest of unplayed games. I was planning to give it a try soon. What can I expect? Is it a cakewalk or do I have to be prepared for some serious and clever deduction-work?

They are challenging, and depend on knowing basic (Sherlock Holmes) criminology. You need to read the introduction and the city guide, and probably make notes: the coroner is here, the Metropolitan Police are here etc. However, you don't need proof of your case, you just need to be convinced you have the right answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
As for the one exception you mentioned... I started playing with the Mansion Murders, without owning the basic game, and I don't recall suffering from my lack of knowledge.


Interesting. In other threads people wrote that they were disappointed because of the requirement of knowing about cases from the base game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
LoneCleric wrote:
As for the one exception you mentioned... I started playing with the Mansion Murders, without owning the basic game, and I don't recall suffering from my lack of knowledge.

Interesting. In other threads people wrote that they were disappointed because of the requirement of knowing about cases from the base game.

Well, that was - oh dear - 14 years ago, so perhaps my memory's a bit hazy.
On the plus side, I might be able to play them again!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
loquitur wrote:
LoneCleric wrote:
As for the one exception you mentioned... I started playing with the Mansion Murders, without owning the basic game, and I don't recall suffering from my lack of knowledge.


Interesting. In other threads people wrote that they were disappointed because of the requirement of knowing about cases from the base game.


I think you originally needed some components from the original game (like the city map, maybe the directory) to play the expansions. I think later expansions were self contained. You also need the "Holmes lecture sheet" for useful addresses. I don't remember any need to have played the earlier cases.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
It's in this review of The Mansion Murders, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/79475
that the reviewer claims one of the cases was ruined by needing clues from the base game. But if that's not the case, then good. Perhaps it's, as you say, a misunderstanding concerning the need for components or even earlier newspapers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I've never actually played beyond the first case in Mansion murders, so I'll have to take their word for it.There's no reason not to start with the base game anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
My concern was more pulling Mansion Murders out at some future time for friends, and hitting that particular case, which would be frustrating.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teemu Salohalme
Finland
Imatra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my hand on both The Mansion Murders and The Consulting Detective. Since The Mansion Murders arrived first, I gave it a shot.

The first case is completely independent but at least cases 12 & 13 (the second and third case in the expansion) spoil some of cases from The Consulting Detective. I stopped playing the expansion and started the basic game so I don't know yet exactly how extensive the spoilers are, but they are there. And I also got the impression from the third case that I before starting it, I should've played a particular case from The Consulting Detective to be able to completely solve the case in The Mansion Murders.

But the cases a really though in the expansion. Case 11 was easy, case 12 was very fun but challenging - case 13 was quite difficult to figure out (I didn't) and I don't know whether it was because of my stupidity or because I hadn't played the case from the original game.

Great fun, nonetheless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Teemu Salohalme wrote:
at least cases 12 & 13 (the second and third case in the expansion) spoil some of cases from The Consulting Detective.


Interesting. Thanks. At my current rate of playing cases, I might not get to the expansions before I retire in twenty years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They should be played in order, as you found; and you should not look at the London Times of the "future". I have found a very fun way to play is for 2-4 people to cooperate, usually with the map, directory, Times, and cluebook split among them, sometimes trading jobs. Each person has clues to find, and you decide your next move by consensus. This makes the game very social, and espeacially the Times person will be talking about articles in the Times, "What can this mean? Can this relate to our case?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.