Subject: Theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spangler
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
In anything to do with Conan, it seems to me color, atmosphere, theme, mood, and so forth are important. As I remember the books, he was often pitted against dark sorceries and eldritch powers, proving the sword was mightier than the wand.

I'm assuming, after reading the rules, that the color and atmosphere of the game and the dark sorcerous elements are found in the Kingdom cards and other cards? I was a bit disappointed that "sorcery" in the game is merely the ability to reroll the dice; this can be an important game mechanic, don't get me wrong, and I can see its usefulness in that respect for gameplay, but it doesn't convey the flavor and theme of the use of dark gods and sorcerous powers, the attempt of the Sygian wizards to spread their dark, venomous, serpentine religion over Hyboria, the encounters with magical beings and gods that are so much part of Conan's lore and adventuring.

So what conveys this flavor and theme in the game and lifts it from being simply Conan Risk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As you noted, most of the flavor elements is conveyed through the Kingdom cards, just like most of the flavor in WotR comes from the Event decks.

The Stygya and Hyperborea decks are very oriented to sorcery (we followed the vision of Hyperborea outlined in the recent Dark Horse's comics, as it is very interesting and there is very little about this country in REH's own stories).

You will get cards to generate Sorcery points, as well as cards that use sorcery points to do various misdeeds against the other players. You will be often tempted to use the Adventure Tokens to get sorcery, damaging your "relationship" with Conan.

For example in the Stygia deck there is:
Sorceries of Acheron (Instant)
Play at the start of a military contest. Spend two sorcery tokens: your opponent can only roll a
maximum of two dice.

Also, some cards in the decks represent further uses of mystical powers, such as the Hyperborea card:
Cloud the Mind (Instant)
Play at any time during your turn. Change one fate die result in the dice pool into another of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
starshaman wrote:
So what conveys this flavor and theme in the game and lifts it from being simply Conan Risk?

In addition to what Roberto mentioned, the Objective and Adventure cards are highly thematic. There's objectives you will surely recognise from REH's writings, such as controlling the Road of Kings. The Adventure cards will also take you back to the original stories, and it can be very fun, and thematic, to see what Adventure Tokens get played with it.

In one game, the Hand of Nergal was the Adventure card played, and it has a length of five (the max). We pull 5 Adventure Tokens out of the bag and each one features women! We had a great laugh at what a hard time Conan must've had suffering through that adventure, but it still fits the theme of the game to a T.

When it comes to sorcery Roberto nails it, the Kingdom Cards is where it's at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
Great! Thanks for these insights.

By Crom, if I played a sorcery chit now, would it make the game available by Christmas?

(Mail me a sorcery chit, and I'll test it! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.