Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Jenkins
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was looking at the spreadsheet someone made that breaks down all the mythos cards by where a gate opens, and where the clues appear and everything, and I noticed (and have noticed this in game play as well) how location Y usually receives a clue when location X receives a gate. i.e. Gate opens at the Witch House, clue appears at the Black Cave. I was curious if anyone knew of any thematic explanation for this or if this is just because of the whim of the designers? Any theories or thoughts about this? Is there a specific basis for this in Lovecraft's work, perhaps?

Some of the more common gate-clue relationships are
Woods - Historical Society
Unnameable - Woods
Witch House - Black Cave
Unvisited Isle - Science Building
Independence Square - Unnameable
Wizard's Hill - Gardner's Place
Black Cave - Hibb's Roadhouse
Graveyard - Unvisited Isle

You can download the chart here. it's printed in Microsoft Excel. Oh! and the spreadsheet is based off of the base game, Dunwich, King In Yellow and Dark Pharaoh, I believe. I'm pretty sure it doesn't include Kingsport or Black Goat.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/36001/AH_mythos_c...

What do you guys think? Am I just overanalyzing, or is there some merit to the idea of this gate-clue relationship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't think there is any thematic connection between the two. It was just a convenient way to make sure everything was covered. I didn't look at every relationship but it seems most of them are the next neighborhood over going in a clockwise direction. This would help keep the most Clues near the location with the most Gates and the ones with the least Clues near the locations with the least Gates.

The relationship holds well in the base game. The only discrependy is that Rumors don't place Clues directly on locations. So there is a breakdown in what would have been a 1 to 1 relationship. With DH, KH, and BGotW, the discrepency is widened as Gate Bursts place 2 Clue tokens at different locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no relationship that I'm aware of, but I'm going to start a countdown until ColtsFan shows up...

Edit: Zing! He was already here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
There's no relationship that I'm aware of, but I'm going to start a countdown until ColtsFan shows up...

Edit: Zing! He was already here!

Your prediction of the past is uncanny!

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jenkins
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured it was just a mechanic to help balance things out, but I thought it was interesting. part of it also made me think, because some of those locations are connected through their encounter cards as well, if I recall. Like one of the ones for the Historical society that sends you to the Woods (or maybe it's vice versa.) So maybe linking their gate appearances to their clue appearances just helps establish that connection.

Or again, maybe it's just a mechanic and I'm reaching a bit too far. But the relationships still seem to hold outside of the base game, even though it's not a 1-to-1 relationship. I wasn't insistent on their being a 1-to-1 relationship anyway, it just happens that it's more frequent to occur that way. but yeah. maybe the game is just making me crazier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't you done your Lovecraft homework? You don't want to delve too deeply into the "Game Mechanics Man Was Not Meant to Know!" goo

Watch out for Wilson (The Pasty Goat of the Office). I think he, JR (the Dog of the Scratchy Tongue), and Launius (the Chartreuse Sign) have made a deal with the Ancient Ones on this game.

Or we'll just find out that Kevin, Richard and JR were just sitting in the office one day eating pizza saying things like, "Sure, toss that in! Sounds like fun!" and "Those rules are way too easy to understand; how will anyone believe this is a Lovecraft game if the rules are easily decipherable?!" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.