Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hart
United States
La Marque
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to spend a lot of time driving (4+ hours each way)this holiday season with the family and was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions. In the past we have played the alphabet game (where you try to find the next letter in the alpabet on a sign and the version where you name a animal that starts with the current letter) we have also played 20 question as well as the game memory madness. Got any good recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/355497
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Pierce
United States
Tangent
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play a game where someone would name a city/state/country, then the next person would have to name one that started with the last letter of the previous one and so on.

Example:
Alice - "Canada"
Bob - "Alaska"
Charlie - "Arkansas"
Alice - "Sweden"

This could work with things other than city/state/country as well (animals, famous people, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I sometimes play a sort of spontaneous game while driving:

Imagine that the three (usually) letters on the license plate in front of you are an acronym. Come up with some things that acronym might stand for.

E.g., License plate = DVW 731

"Done Very Well"
"Dark Vampire Walking"
"Dumb Vixen Won" etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dickerson
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
npcomplete wrote:
We used to play a game where someone would name a city/state/country, then the next person would have to name one that started with the last letter of the previous one and so on.

Example:
Alice - "Canada"
Bob - "Alaska"
Charlie - "Arkansas"
Alice - "Sweden"

This could work with things other than city/state/country as well (animals, famous people, etc).

My friends and I did this for hours waiting in lines at Disneyland except with movies. Great time killer. (But the E's will kill you!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cotrona
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timex wrote:
I plan to spend a lot of time driving (4+ hours each way)this holiday season with the family and was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions. In the past we have played the alphabet game (where you try to find the next letter in the alpabet on a sign and the version where you name a animal that starts with the current letter) we have also played 20 question as well as the game memory madness. Got any good recommendations?

There's a little book called Games on the Go that you could try. It has many of the classic games like Dots and Boxes, Six Degrees, and Battleship and many variations.

http://www.amazon.com/Gladstones-Games-Go-Contests-Boredom-F...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love letter games like "I got a P"

math games like "How long till we get there?"

and dexterity games like "Don't Touch Me!"

While mom and dad play bluffing games like

"I'm gonna stop this car", and "Your gonna get grounded as soon as we get to grandma's house" The kids usually win these too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We always play what we inelegantly call "The 5-Letter Word Game", which is kind of like Mastermind with words, and a memory component.

Each person thinks of a 5-letter word. Then you take turns guessing a five-letter word--the other person simply tells you how many letters are the same (not position).

So, if my word is "CLOUD", your guesses might be:

BLACK? 2
BLOCK? 3 ("Okay, there is an O, no A...")
BLEAK? 1 ("Ooh, a C and an O...")
EERIE? 0 (No R or I...)

...etc. etc... It can actually be quite a deep game, and totally playable by a driver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you follow Dujo's link, you'll find an entry for my personal favorite, Ghost, which Dujo describes perfectly well, even if he doesn't think so. I'm stunned to find that there's an entry for a table version. Who needs that?

Anyway, the other verbal game I can remember playing on car rides is the memory one, "I'm going on a trip and I am taking..." where the first person says the above and adds an item starting with A. The next player repeat's the first player's statement and adds an item starting with B, and so on. If you fail to remember the ever-increasing string of items, you're out. Never a big fan of it myself, but I have to admit the Best Game Evar of it was actually in a Ground Round where the waitress disappeared for an unbelievably long time. So long that we started to play this game. So long that we finished. IIRC, we got through the whole alphabet and had to start a second time through. That game was "I'm going to flag down a waitress and I'm going to use..." Seriously, like 25 years later we still quote it and giggle.

The one other game I can remember successfully playing in the car is Password, though it does require the driver to occasionally take a quick glance at the password thingy so he knows what he is giving clues on. For that reason, I won't recommend it strongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas coe
United States
aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
My kids love letter games like "I got a P"

math games like "How long till we get there?"

and dexterity games like "Don't Touch Me!"

While mom and dad play bluffing games like

"I'm gonna stop this car", and "Your gonna get grounded as soon as we get to grandma's house" The kids usually win these too.

HAHAHAAH....AWESOME!!!!!!! i can picture everyone of those games!!!! CLASSIC!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crack the Case can be played easily in a car. If you don't have access to that search for "minute mysteries" and do those. The driver can participate as an investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
timex wrote:

Have you tried Botticelli?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botticelli_(game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Okasaki
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomchaps wrote:
We always play what we inelegantly call "The 5-Letter Word Game", which is kind of like Mastermind with words, and a memory component.

Also known as Jotto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces is an awesome car game, set it up kids vs. parents. Have the wife(non-driver) in control of one book the kids in control of the other you can take a quick look at the book while your driving. then you both decide. It works wonderfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to my geeklist of games we've tried in the car. A lot of these don't involve the driver, though. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/23458

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.