Subject: dashboard design - ideas and suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quite recently I started to design new Formula Dé Dashboards with more racing feeling. I imagined a steering wheel with shift paddles, something like that.

Now I'm finished with the mechanics and design of the upper part (a simple slider) and need your help. How on earth should I implement the tire- engine- and fuel-points? A small knob in one of many holes? A turnable pointer, like a speedometer needle?

Fire your ideas and thoughts at me, I can't wait to continue and finish my dashboards. cool
This is how the upper part works: --> *click*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chobe wrote:
A turnable pointer, like a speedometer needle?

This would be my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A needle on a gauge seems appropriate. Something that's missing from the current Formula D dashboard is a way to track number of stops in a turn. I'm not sure how you would incorporate that into an authentic looking instrument panel - a turn signal perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm. interesting, we never thought about recording the stops, it was so easy to keep in mind..

The turnable needle is also my favourite option, sliders sadly poke out of the dashboard and make it larger and more difficult to pack into the game box. I considered turnable wheels with values under the board, a small windows to show the actual value, but higher flexibility for your tire WP results in too large wheels.

I think I'll try to glue or solder a knob and some kind of needle on THIS
Besides you can easily remove them from the board to pile them in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracking a one or two stop corner is a waste of time. Sometimes when we're playing multiple cars w/ new players it's possible to lose track of stops on a three stop corner. "Was that one stop or two, in all the confusion I lost track myself. You have to ask yourself one question...Do I feel lucky?" I tried using some two extra pegs on the right just to keep track. It seemed to help until people got used to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.