Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

While reading the rulebook, I noticed the mention towards the end that with less then 4, one should always be Aquilonia, with Aq + Turan preferrably in 2-player and so on? I was just curious why that duo was mentioned? Yes, it's not a must, but still was wondering about it. Are they the 2 "easiest" kingdoms to play (less hassle with Sorcery, etc.), and/or are there other factors that popped up during playtesting?

I'm going to be using AoC as pretty much 2-player game and my twisted mind is already thinking ways to subjugate people in the name of Set. Go Stygia !

(yeah, if anybody has thoughts/insights share, please; mainly hoping Roberto will pop in, as he has been lately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Roberto will more than likely chime in on his baby, but I think it comes down to a lot of Objective Cards concerning Central Hyboria. The way Conan's adventures work out, he will criss-cross Hyboria a lot as well, again makeing Central Hyboria very important to the game.

Playing Stygia vs Hyperborea will prove very difficult as they don't border each other, but except for that you can of course play any match-ups you want.

I must say that the game sings as a 4-player game though. It's just fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it quite right, the factors are those mentioned - Central Hyboria is necessary and the presence of Aquilonia in the game means Central Hyboria is immediately a conflict area.

Both Stygia and Hyperborea vs. Aquilonia are quite playable, but the game would become much more asymmetric and so there are more instances where it can get off balance in a way or another.

Differently from WotR, while AoC is not a perfectly symmetric game, it's not really meant to be asymmetric, either!

In my experience, all three-players game set-ups (as long as they include Aquilonia) should work well. But the basic one received the most playtesting so we were more confident in recommending it in terms of game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.