Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get some of them through Clearclaw here on the geek, or if you hadn't missed the boat this year's "Essen Set" was available a while ago direct from Winsome.

Some of 'em also turn into mass-market games: Chicago Express is a recent example, but Transamerica and Age of Steam are also examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're certainly real, most of the games come out as limited run Essen sets but they've been getting increasingly wide distribution and even some reprints of popular titles recently (Pampas Railroad, Wabash Cannonball). John made an announcement about Lokomotive Werks a day or two ago, and you'll find more signups for reprints in this geeklist.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31047

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Winsome Games, ala John Bohrer has stated that he's not really interested in being a publisher, just in developing games that other companies then license and publish. Historically Winsome Games has produced an Essen Collection every year, a small set of games, just 80 copies, which are reserved long in advance (they've usually sold out in less than an hour) and then must be purchased from the Winsome booth at Essen in order to collect (where they also sell out in less than an hour).

As I've formed a liking for several of the Winsome games and don't attend Essen, I've lead the charge to have some of the Winsome catalogue reprinted and to extend the publication of the Essen Collections so as to be more widely available. This process is still ongoing and many other games are being considered for reprint if there is enough interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Winsome Games, ala John Bohrer has stated that he's not really interested in being a publisher, just in developing games that other companies then license and publish. Historically Winsome Games has produced an Essen Collection every year, a small set of games, just 80 copies, which are reserved long in advance (they've usually sold out in less than an hour) and then must be purchased from the Winsome booth at Essen in order to collect (where they also sell out in less than an hour).

As I've formed a liking for several of the Winsome games and don't attend Essen, I've lead the charge to have some of the Winsome catalogue reprinted and to extend the publication of the Essen Collections so as to be more widely available. This process is still ongoing and many other games are being considered for reprint if there is enough interest.

I didn't realize they were that hard to get a hold of. I had a Winsome title in my hand in a game store just last week. I'm not a big fan of Winsome, but I was looking for games that I wouldn't be able to pick up elsewhere, so I was looking at it. I decided not to, but if I'd known that typically there were that few I probably would have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind though, if it said "Winsome Games" but then also had another publisher's name on it, and was well produced (no smack talk intended towards John, as he does what he can with components but is certainly no big publisher) then it was likely something that was licensed by Winsome to that company; so may not have been something as rare as you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several available for sale in the BGG Marketplace. Unfortunately, the interface to the BGG Marketplace is... well... sub-optimal. There is not really any way to easily search the marketplace for all Winsome games.
You can use the Advanced Search function to specify Winsome as a publisher and get a list of all Winsome titles and then click into each title and scroll down to the marketplace entry for each title to see copies for sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sometimes order them directly from John Bohrer. Contact information is available on the Winsome Games homepage:
http://www.fyi.net/~winsome/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane Sather wrote:
Keep in mind though, if it said "Winsome Games" but then also had another publisher's name on it, and was well produced (no smack talk intended towards John, as he does what he can with components but is certainly no big publisher) then it was likely something that was licensed by Winsome to that company; so may not have been something as rare as you think

I am glad that you pointed this out, Shane. The games produced by Winsome Games are short run and come, these days, in plastic boxes.

The gameboards are not mounted, the rules are in black & white, etc. Our focus is on design & development, not the bits or artwork or production. It is a hobby and we can't make many games. We don't want folks to buy our games expecting nifty bits, so we ask new customers if they have played our games before and, if not, we warn them of the components. Don't buy it, we can't make that many and demand is already too high for us.

The games that bigger or better financed game companies license from us are printed in the thousands and always look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Historically Winsome Games has produced an Essen Collection every year, a small set of games, just 80 copies, which are reserved long in advance (they've usually sold out in less than an hour)

Sort of.

The reality is that John contacts previous Essen set purchasers and gives them an exclusive period to reserve sets. Any open slots that are left after this private period are then opened to the masses and that is what generally goes in less than an hour.

It's possible to run into some of the older Winsome titles in stores, because the company did do some limited distribution back in the day. Now, for Americans, the easiest way to get games is to purchase them direct from John. You can also order them from JC, which is a must if you're international, but it costs more (poor guy has to make a buck for all the inconvenience, so I completely understand) and it takes longer because John has to ship the games all the way over to CA, and then JC has to ship them out to wherever you live. AFAIK, the reprints from the Geeklist are all exclusively through JC for John's convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.