Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week a friend of mine asked if I wanted his old decks of Magic the Gathering cards. Being a game collector and having played Magic in the past, I said sure. He gave me a case of cards, some pre-constructed decks, but most just lose cards packed into shoe boxes. These are from the first three sets (I think they are on 9th or 10th edition now?) and I doubt there is much in the way of monetary value, but still, it seems like a shame to lets these hundreds of cards just sit in a box doing nothing.

So short of building decks of antiquated cards, help me figure out some creative things to do with these. Is there a way I could use them in another game? A cool arts and crafts project? Clip them to the spokes on my bike? Anything?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
They make good backs for prototypes. Sleeve them and put your card text in the sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
First, go through them looking for any cards with the word 'Mox' or 'Lotus' in the title. These will probably be worth selling (there are exceptions).

Once you've removed these, a popular tactic on internet auction sites seems to be repacking the cards into supposedly random sets and selling them on the basis that there might be a high-value card inside. Make sure you give no guarantees that any buyer will get that card, even if they buy the whole lot. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiƶ
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use them as backing when doing homebrew game versions?

(You might want to check some of my designs if you're interested.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually even commons from Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights or Legends would have some value. I think it would be worth while to look them over closely and do some research online.

That said, the only other game I know of that used MtG cards is Mana Burn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a Menger cube with them.

For more info:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
That said, the only other game I know of that used MtG cards is Mana Burn.

Also Landyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First step: If you have any cards with 'Lotus' or 'Mox' in their names, send them my way and I'll dispose of them accordingly.

If you have cards from Alpha, Beta and Unlimited (the first three sets) be sure to check out the prices for some of them, even commons sometimes are worth a bit when from those sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, any dual lands are also worth a fair bit. You might want to check out the buy lists on CoolStuffInc to see if you have any stuff on there to trade in. I've built a nice board game collection mostly from trading my cards in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
They make good backs for prototypes. Sleeve them and put your card text in the sleeve.

Sell them in the GG auctions. Perhaps someone will want them. I could use some cheap cards for backing some PnP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When I have the , I buy up MtG cards in auctions. I have 27 longboxes of cards in the corner of my office... I just love looking at them, organizing them (slightly OCD) and thinking that someday I may play the game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar situation and decided to make a collage out of the art. Get some scissors, cut out the art from unique cards, arrange them and glue to a board. Mine uses 156 cards on a 32x20 foamcore board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This year I made an advent calendar out of Magic cards. Each day had a card that related to a number between 1 and 24. (It was a lot harder to find cards for specific numbers than I had thought--about a third of them ended up using power and toughness, like a 1/8 creature for the 18th.)

I just sleeved the cards backwards in opaque sleeves and sent them to my friend, who is opening them one at a time. If I had been more creative or artistic I probably could have made some kind of display with little doors to open.

Another recommendation: I imagine it would be cool to make a photomosaic with the picture boxes from cut-up cards, but I've never done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also going to suggest Landyland.

Another thing you can do is separate your lands then bundle the remaining cards in 15 card bundles and play a draft.

To draft, each player gets 3 15-card bundles. In each of three rounds, take one bundle, open it, take one card and pass it to a player to your left, take a card from the bundle you get from your right and continue until you are handed one card and keep it. Alternate passing left and right between rounds.

Once you have 45 cards, construct a deck and take an appropriate amount of land to make the deck playable and play a "tournament of magic games". Typically ladder style with 3 games per slot.

I like to buy bulk boxes to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
1. Buy one of those el cheapo prefab Christmas trees at WalMart or Target.

2. Get some cheap lights and metal hanging ornament hooks.

3. Decorate.

4. Give it as a gag gift for your cardcrack-addicted friend.

5. Have both of your wives think you're both crazy. A bargain! laugh

As always, you are the sober Ying to my raging Yang.

ME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been sorting through some of the cards. Best I can tell, I don't have any of the really rare cards, like Black Lotus or any of the Mox cards. They are from all different sets.

Some are from Revised, maybe some Beta cards, and they run up through fifth edition. Most are in the 1995-1997 time period, and my understanding is the really valuable stuff would be like 1993-1994, but those cards don't seem to have the copyright date on them.

I have cards from Ice Age and Mirage. There is a nice little stack of double lands, ones that can give different kinds of mana. There is probably 1,500 cards or more, so I'm still looking through them whenever I get the chance.

ME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.