Subject: Rules Example of Resolution Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john guerin
United States
hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm not quite getting the idea of combat resolution with regards to the example in the updated printed rules section...

Page 7 example of Conan playing split head move between grisly & run thru.... Conan's initiative is lower than both so he moves last and is subject to damage. But at the bottom of his move card (split head..) he has a sword symbol which sounds to me like it should block the sword symbol of grisly for no damage...
Then on the other side, run thru... Conan has 2 sword symbols on his split head which to me should again block both the sword symbols of run thru for no damage to Conan again.

Now that it is his turn he attacks but again the sword symbols on both sides match up. To me that means everything is blocked, cancelling all attacks again so at the end of this battle I see no damage occurring to anyone. This example in the rules states that each foe and Conan recieves base damage.

Can someone clarify this for me? Thank you.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgsu27 wrote:

Page 7 example

By any chance do you mean p. 37?

Quote:
But at the bottom of his move card (split head..) he has a sword symbol which sounds to me like it should block the sword symbol of grisly for no damage...

See, the sword icons don't "meet" like they do for 1 of the icons in the Run Through vs Split Head pairing. Conan's sword icon is in the lowest-right, while Grisly's sword icon is 2 spots higher.

Only those icons that actually "touch" each other once the cards are put side by side affect each other, those that don't deal damage.

Helped?

Or, to put it very cruedly:

x = no icon
s = sword
F1 and F2 = foes
C = conan

F1 C F2
x xx x
s xx s
s sx x
x ss x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guerin
United States
hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Ahhh...thank you Rauli for that clarification. Yet another level of depth to this game. I really missed that one. This will make the game much faster paced than counting the icons (especially the defensive ones) no matter their positions. Thanks for the analytical equation also. Anytime you're in the U.S. near Connecticut give a holler and we'll put a game together. Nothing better than playing 'split a head like a ripe melon' to a fellow Conan fan.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.