Popular Tags: [View All]
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by JoeSteadman's thread on favorite movie villains (and a new Xbox), I've been thinking of some of my favorite video and computer game villains.

From zombie/ghost pirate captains to effeminate, genetically-engineered SOLDIERS with giant swords and cataclysmic tendencies to that damned centipede from Centipede, there have been a lot of great villains in video gaming's relatively short history.

WARNING: Many of the best video game villains are so great because of major plot twists or the surprising deaths of major characters. I'd encourage people to use the spoiler tag, but untagged spoilers may follow.

"When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN."

For me SHODAN, System Shock's malevolent AI, is the best of the best. She's omnipresent yet takes the time to personally torment the player character. She's well-written, and even-better voiced. Best of all, even though she (it, really) is a computer, she has more personality than almost any other characters in gaming.

In Shock 2 she's even better, with one of the best twists ever in a video game, a creepy relationship with the player character, and a bit of a Frankenstein story with the game's main antagonists, the Many.

"You move like an insect. You think like an insect. You are an insect. There is another who can serve my purpose. Take care not to fall too far out of my favor. Patience is not characteristic of a goddess."

Who are some of your favorites, and what makes them so memorable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
glaDOS

Portal is one of the most enjoyable video game experiences I've had in a very long time, and glaDOS is a huge part of what makes the game fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
FFVII's Sephiroth, for me. The first moment that a VG delivered real emotional impact for me:

And one of my favorite Boss Battles of all time. I can hear the angelic chorus intoning "SEPH-I-ROTH!" in my head as I type...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:

And one of my favorite Boss Battles of all time. I can hear the angelic chorus intoning "SEPH-I-ROTH!" in my head as I type...

Totally agree on the the Sephiroth.

And while not quite as cool -- I have always enjoyed defeating Ganon in his quest for the Triforce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eggplant Wizard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well that was onix-pected.
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Lechuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ur-Quan

An alien race with a lot more depth and background than your typical evil aliens. Divided into two sub-races that disagree with each other on how to best protect themselves from the threat of enslavement by other aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
FFVII's Sephiroth, for me. The first moment that a VG delivered real emotional impact for me:

Sephiroth's my pick as well. My wife and I watched 'Advent Children', and we were surprised at the feeling of sinking dread when Sepiroth appeared.

Funny that a character from a game could weasel its way into your psyche like that isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

Sephiroth's my pick as well. My wife and I watched 'Advent Children', and we were surprised at the feeling of sinking dread when Sepiroth appeared.

Does anyone remember the first time he unlocked the Platinum Match in Kingdom Hearts, when the tell-tale strings begin?

Priceless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that is most memorable to me (honorable mention to the 'dark man' in the original Half-Life series) has gotta be:

Purple Tentacle: "I feel like I could... like I could... 'Take on the world!'"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Durandal, Marathon. Damn, I'm old.

Even cooler: the whole Marathon series is available for free legal download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephiroth??! That little girl in one of my least favorite Final Fantasies to date.

The king of final Fantasy villains is Kefka:

He's crazy, ruthless and effective. And he's not a mama's boy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another amazing villain, that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned, is Kerrigan from Starcraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Ur-Quan (mentioned by Aarontu) and Kefka (mentioned by hibikir) as well.

Another of my favorites is:

SIGMA From the Mega Man X series.

Not really anything "fantastic" in terms of a back story, but I like his relentlessness. (In fact, the "sigma" part of my screenname comes from this very villain. The "zero" part came from X's friends name).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sarevok, from Baldur's Gate. "I'm sorry that you feel that way, old man."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Sephiroth??! That little girl in one of my least favorite Final Fantasies to date.

See -- all I got from him was the feeling of an insane clown. :shrugs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

The king of final Fantasy villains is Kefka

Nah, Ultros is the greatest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
hibikir wrote:

See -- all I got from him was the feeling of an insane clown. :shrugs:

Yes, but how many "insane clowns" end up SUCCEEDING at pretty much destroying the world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.