Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Ellis
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bias Alert

I helped playtest this.

We played this at Romiley yesterday. Andy "I've got an opinion" Daglish, Andy Ogden, myself and Patrick Morley (who was up from London). A good time was had by all.

The quality of the game still shone through. The cleverness of the share system in creating tight money; the difficulty of using the little money you had to jostle for the correct action selection; the joy of getting something for nothing because someone used a vital link you created; the sheer delight in sorting yourself out a network and moving goods across - it was all excellent stuff.

Andy Daglish felt that production was the weakest action but to be honest he lost the game because he did not take this action at least once. I've also seen production used as a way to catch up and beat what I felt was an unassailable lead (yes, it was me in the lead!). Don't underestimate this action. If you are able to get a couple of goods at the right place with a 5 or 6 train you can have a huge advantage over other players. Having said that I don't like using production if at all possible because of the risk that the wrong goods come up. I try to wangle it so that I don't have to.

We all felt that it was a wonderful game.

"How does Martin keep doing it" - Patrick
"Monkeys, typewriters and Shakespeare" - Anon
"Best game of the year" - Andy Daglish

I won by the slimmest of margins - all down to vps for track length.

Recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report

Andy Daglish felt that production was the weakest action but to be honest he lost the game because he did not take this action at least once. [snip] Having said that I don't like using production if at all possible because of the risk that the wrong goods come up.

but Matt, only the New York Times is allowed to take both sides at the same time!

Of course there is no guarantee that Production will be of any use to the choosing player, and indeed by so doing he may benefit an opponent. Production is slightly too weak to be useful, except, as in this instance, at the end of the game when a leading player has no requirement to choose any other option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
mattman (#4416),

My opinion is based on only 1 game, but I also felt the production role was a bit weak during the majority of the game and only useful late on under certain conditions (e.g. if you had all routes going into a particular city so could place the goods so they eventually arrive at your city).

Even then you are still at the mercy of the right colours being drawn (not all may be useful to you) and also you need the dice rolls that represent the city you chose to transfer the goods to that city.

In our game the production role was only chosen on the two turns before the final turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.