Tim Why
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
I was thinking of picking this up, but reading the reviews and overviews it seems fairly similar to Primordial Soup/Ursuppe...

Both have evolution/gene mechanics which increase various abilities.
Both have a climate-changing / environmental changing aspect which affects gameplay (climate vs. current)
Both have attack/defend type conflict.

Is it worth having both? Or do they essentially scratch the same itch - and if so, does one do it better?

Thanks!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evo has dinosaurs. Dinosaurs!!

I haven't played either game, so unfortunately I don't actually have anything helpful to offer. But Evo has been on my radar for ages. 'Cause it has dinosaurs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both have some similar idea but mechanically they are different.

I own PS and it isn't as much a Area control game as Evo is. Multiple people can be in the same space and you want to keep moving because you can't eat your own poop (it may sound nasty but that is the basis of the game). I think the game can be very long with more then 4. I have the 5 and 6 player expansion but have not played with that many.

I only played Evo once and it was a fun game but I enjoy PS more. I think Evo would be a better choice if you playing with 4 though. I think PS hits a sweet spot with 3 as you can play with 2 using the automated player variant here on the geek but of course there is no substitute for a real person.

My recommendation if you can only get one is PS. The 5 and 6 player expansion is great for the cards alone even if you don't play with that many players. There is a speed up mechanism within the scoring that you leapfrog pieces so that if there are more pieces on the scoring track then points propel you faster to the end but I have yet to play with more then 4. I think I will try a 5 or 6 after Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Evo is fun. It is a little lighter than Ursuppe, more explicitly confrtontational, and the special power cards are more biased towards cuteness than they are to game balance. It also works with the full range of player counts whereas Ursuppe is specifically a 4.

I own both and find them both useful members of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Evo is fun. It is a little lighter than Ursuppe, more explicitly confrtontational, and the special power cards are more biased towards cuteness than they are to game balance. It also works with the full range of player counts whereas Ursuppe is specifically a 4.

I own both and find them both useful members of my collection.

You think PS plays better with 4? I will have to give it another try. I have played 1 - 2 player 2 - 3 players 1 - 4 player and enjoyed the 3 player more. BUT it could be the people I played with. Like I said I will be giving it a try after Christmas with 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
hobbes2888 wrote:
Is it worth having both? Or do they essentially scratch the same itch - and if so, does one do it better?

Evo may have dinosaurs, but Ursuppe has poop jokes.

Both games are on my top 10, but while I think it is worth having both, owning just one is likely sufficient.

Evo is more about the auction (getting sensible items for a reasonable price) and planning for the action cards. A key difference between the two games is that, in Evo, the player with the attacking capabilities usually prefers moving to a safe location over attacking. It's more tactical but has a nice brisk pace. I would expect this to be the better fit for most groups.

Ursuppe is more about planning for what is happening on the board itself: what genes others have, where is there currently food supply, where is there likely to be food supply in the future (due to critters dying), managing your Biological Points. And the attack gene - Struggle for Survival - is really the most important thing in the game. It's a more balanced blend of strategy and tactics but is a bit fussy and thus slower paced.

In my experience, both games have their issues with inexperienced players. In Evo, it's overbidding on genes. In Ursuppe, it's underestimating Struggle for Survival. As it is, now that they are out of my group's rotation, I am unlikely to pull it out on that rare occasion. I think they are better fits for a group with a smaller repertoire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty much all been said, but I'll say this:

Evo is a tactical game, with you planning, 'how am I going to migrate' and 'what space do I take, when I have two options' and the like.

PS is more about, how do I make a perfect balance of my genes based on what is happening on the board in general. What mutations do I take, do I not worry about SfS and take armor instead, do I bread a lot? Instead of decisions in Evo were you are really concerned about being in the right place @ the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:

Evo may have dinosaurs, but Ursuppe has poop jokes.

That is an excellent rebuttal.

However, Evo has freakin' dinosaurs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
squash wrote:
That is an excellent rebuttal.

Scat, you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have only played Evo, so can't really make any comparisons. However, I hear Evo is either out of print or otherwise very difficult to find. That may be a factor favoring PS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.